Monday, September 29, 2008

Denied AGAIN!!!

Remember this post from June??? (click on the link if your memory needs refreshed)


Damn Health Care System

My feelings haven't changed much regarding our dumb health care system. I tried once again to get the boys, Noah, Ian & Cohen added to our health care policy and AGAIN they were all denied!!! I'm extremely frustrated! Due to their prior medical histories they have all been classified as HIGH RISK PATIENTS- doesn't seem fair in my opinion though because what risk is Ian??? He had corrective surgery when he was 5 weeks old for a condition he had at the time called Pyloric Stenosis. The surgery was successful and corrected the problem and he has never and will never again have this condition. He's as healthy as a horse, but yet, the insurance companies still consider him high risk. ASININE! Cohen's considered high risk because of all the respiratory problems he had when he was first born. I would understand the insurance company's judgement if he still had problems breathing, but he hasn't since he was discharged from the hospital after his first week of life! I was told by the insurance company that Noah is a high risk patient and will NEVER BE ELIGIBLE for coverage through out his entire lifetime!!! I was FURIOUS with this decision! They told me he's ineligible because of his HYPOTONIA. I'm beginning to think the underwriters at these insurance companies have NO IDEA what some of these medical terms or conditions may mean and don't care to look over individual cases. My son has very mild HYPOTONIA- and like many children who have had hypotonia- he's outgrown it now in his 3rd year of life. HE IS NOT A HIGH RISK PATIENT because with the help of doctors he has undergone EVERY PREVENTATIVE MEASURE to CORRECT ANY PROBLEMS. He has had CAT SCANS, MRI's, ULTRASOUNDS, SURGERY, BLOOD TESTS, PHYSICAL THERAPY and extensive thorough medical evaluations by various specialists to make sure he does not have any other medical problems or an underlying disorder or syndrome that may need future attention. Aside from a few congenital abnormalities that only a doctor or specialist may recognize, he is just a healthy 3 year old boy who has been judged unfairly and lacks coverage.

My boys NEED health insurance-every child NEEDS health insurance- it shouldn't be a privilege it should be a RIGHT!


Count your blessings if YOU are currently covered by health insurance because it may just be a matter of time or an accident that makes you or your family no longer eligible and then you're a son out of luck and on your own.

I know I'm not the only person frustrated with our health care system; there are millions in our country lacking coverage. If you are reading this post, please take the time to visit the following website www.voicefortheunisured.org and read over the AMA's proposal- I would appreciate it, along with millions of other citizens.

1 comments:

janae said...

Seriously, Steph, I am so sorry. It makes me sick that this kind of thing can happen. I mean, at least they could say, "Yeah, we'll cover them, but it will be expensive," but to just deny you? No options? It makes me sick. I'll go to the site for ya.