Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I had PLANS to be productive today... I was going to run errands and get some shopping done. I also needed to finish hanging the wall decor around my house that's been cluttering my storage closet for the last month now. I had the intent to finally organize our office, but alas...instead, I've found myself on my computer googling places I'd rather be.

I have a list of about 11 or 12 places I'd rather be right now on vacation (if I really contemplated it for another hour of two I'm sure I could think of another 20 places I'd like to visit); please note that I haven't listed any of these places in any particular order- I'd be GRATEFUL at the moment to be visit ANY of these places.

Portugal/Azores
Brazil
Hawaii
Seattle, Washington
The Oregon Coast
Barker, New York
New York City
Orlando, Florida (preferably Disney World)
Rexberg, Idaho (I know, I know, seriously what must I be thinking? Rexberg! Yup folks- I have the urge to visit there again)
Maine (no place in particular)
Boston
Vermont ( I'd LOVE to see the fall colors on the trees!)
Kentucky (when is the Kentucky Derby again??? I've always wanted to go- I LOVE horse races!)

Chances are I won't have the opportunity (or the money) to visit any of these places for months, years, or a lifetime- so my thoughts have turned to SAN DIEGO (it's so lame but seriously, even that shade of aqua blue I chose to highlight "San Diego" in is making me desperate for the beaches!) I've had the URGE to visit there for the last two days! I still have family and friends who live there and since I spent most of my life living there- 21years precisely- its streets and beaches are still just as familiar to me and as they were while I had been living there. San Diego is still my home.


It's sort of strange, but every 3 or 4 months I get the desire to head back home to San Diego. For years I acted impulsively on that urge and jetted back home for a weekend get away, but as of late it hasn't been so easy.

If
I trusted my driving skills and I wasn't a narcolept (just kidding), I would have had the kids packed in the car 2 days ago and we would have driven there- but to be honest- I'm awful at driving long distances. If it was just me and one kid- we would have caught a flight there- but 3!... COME ON, think about... i'm outnumbered!!!

It's sort of silly, but even Noah's been walking around the house for the last few weeks saying he wants to go to the beach. Each time I hear him say it, I sympathize, and I tell him "yeah- I know kid- if I could take you there today I would, but I can't- we'll have to wait". It gutts me to the core!

It's been 6 months since our last trip to California!!! 6 months! I'm at my breaking point people- I NEED my fix of the fabulous weather there, the people, the beaches, the shopping! I suppose it doesn't help that I faithfully watch The HILLS every Monday night- some of my friends poke fun and think the programs lame cause 1/2 of each episode just shows scenery around So. Cal- but I LOVE IT! The busy streets- the sunshine- the sage, the freeway shots, the palm trees, the canyons, the congested neighborhoods and the beaches- it's all comforting to me! I'm a product of the city!

After a little brainstorming, I suggested to Spencer yesterday that we go there- for a week, THIS MONTH. I know, it's a little short notice, but I'm impulsive and desperate! I hope it helps influence him a little bit more now that Noah's been walking around the house saying he "needs to go to San Diego". Spencer said he'd think about it- I'm hoping he does more than just thinks about it- I'm hoping he takes me up on my suggestion and we GO! Of course Spencer knows me pretty well, and he knows that a trip to San Diego wouldn't be a fulfilling trip if we didn't visit the Zoo or Sea World or DISNEYLAND. It's true, it's true- the kid in me begs to visit these places and generally any time we visit San Diego we go- you have to remember folks- these trips home for me are vacations too!

Anyhow- here's hoping wistfully that in another week or two, or three, but no later than that (wouldn't want to get stuck in a snowstorm heading back up to Utah or miss the Nightmare Before Christmas Haunted Mansion at Disneyland) that we head off to Cali!

3 comments:

janae said...

Speaking of Disneyland and the Haunted Mansion, my party-throwing aunt posted something that reminded me of that. I thought you'd be amused!

http://littleantdesign.blogspot.com/2008/10/get-your-spook-on-ghoulish-giveaway.html

Ruth said...

San Diego is awesome. Sure wouldn't mind if you guys ended up moving down this way. . .

Jolie said...

hahaha. Yes, I have days like that too. Sometimes I'll wake up and make a to-do list a mile long but then lose all ambition to complete any of it.
At the end of the day the only things I have accomplished are feeding and entertaining my kids. oh well! we need days like that sometimes!