Damn health care system...
Damn all the stupid Health Insurance Providers out there! My blood is boiling I'm so stinking furious with the way our health care systems are allowed to operate here in the U.S.- in fact, my blood's probably curdled I'm so mad!!!
To sum up a long story, after trying to add Noah to our family's health insurance plan (we have our own individual policy since Spencer is self-employed- please note though: we pay an arm and a leg in monthly premiums and yet our policy still bites)- he was denied coverage! The health insurance company (Select Med) said that the reason being for why they decided Noah wasn't eligible is because of his HYPOTONIA! Okay, so here's what really perturbs me... for the last 2 1/2 years we've spent time with various doctors and specialists (i.e. neurologists, geneticists & physical therapists) to evaluate his condition and while initially there was the potential concern that Noah could have had an underlying syndrome or genetic disease coinciding with his hypotonia, results have shown that he doesn't. He still has hypotonia, but it's only mild now. At this stage in his life it doesn't affect his development any longer and really there's no more health risks we need to be concerned with.
I am so stinking upset! What is wrong with insurance companies?! What's wrong with the politicians who have promised for years now to resolve our countries medical coverage crisis and still have yet to take any action??? I'm sick of it all! In the last 3 months, Noah's been denied coverage for both our life and health insurance plans!!! What are we supposed to do if there's ever a medical emergency or accident?!!!
I'm not suggesting that we institute a socialized health care system here in the U.S. like Canada has done- I don't think that's the answer. I do however think it's time that the government works with insurance providers and demand that they offer fairer coverage at less expense to citizens. There is definitely something wrong with how our health care system operates if MILLIONS of citizens who desire coverage, and are willing to pay premiums, are ineligible for health insurance! Should I even add how completely UNFAIR I believe it is that illegal immigrants can walk into a hospital and receive FREE health care at any time???!!! It's RIDICULOUS! By LAW if they're seeking medical help, they cannot be denied it. Can anyone explain why our government hasn't yet instituted a law that forbids insurance companies from discriminating against citizens seeking coverage???
Okay so I'm about finished ranting about the damn health care system- I have so much more I could add, but I'll refrain... don't worry about Noah though- we'll find a way to get him covered- we can't afford not to have him covered especially if there was ever a medical emergency . Apparently there's a program here in Utah called HIPUtah (it's for the uninsurable)- he still has to apply for the program and apparently just because he applies doesn't mean he'll be eligible- but it's a state program with RIDICULOUS monthly premiums, the deductibles are even more ABSURD, and we just may have to loose another arm and a leg paying for it all!
Wouldn't it just be nice if we lived in a "FAIR" world- one of equality???
Oh by the way, I still haven't watched Micheal Moore's documentary "SICKO" but next time I'm by a Blockbuster, I think I'll pick up a copy to watch. I'm only a nerve away from writing politicians and starting up my own picket line in Washington- I don't think I'll be alone either.
2 comments:
Steph, I am so sorry!! I think it is absolutely ridiculous that those who need it most (like a child) can be denied. That is so, so crazy. And it shouldn't be legal. I swear. There really do need to be dramatic changed in the whole system. I still would like to know why we paid over $8000 in monthly premiums for a year and a half, only to be charged a huge portion of Seara's hospital stay. Why did we even have insurance?! It would have been cheaper to put the money in a good savings account. But, of course, you don't because of the 'just in case' syndrome. Ach!! I would love to see changes with this one!
Oh I KNOW!!! Our health care system in this country REALLY needs to be revamped. Universal health care is not the logical solution; at least not in our society. But something is seriously wrong when a child cannot receive coverage on the basis of a pre-existing medical condition...it's like...HELLO!!!! HE HAS A MEDICAL CONDITION FOLKS!!! He is precisely the kind of person that NEEDS MEDICAL INSURANCE!!!!!!
I don't blame you at all for the boiling/curdled blood. My blood boils for you!!
Post a Comment