"Indie" disapointment... along with my other movie reviews...

Last night at midnight, Spencer and I went to the 1ST showing of the new "Indie" film- "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". I was pretty excited to see the movie, but after watching it, I must admit I was fairly disappointed. Our time spent at the movies wasn't a COMPLETE loss; while it didn't measure up to what expectations I had, the film was still pretty ENTERTAINING. I overheard George Lucas say during a television interview, the reason he and Steven Spielberg haven't, until now, produced any sequels to their last Indiana Jones movie that premiered 20 years ago was because he simply couldn't think of any "good" story ideas... well George, I regret to tell you as an Indie fan, maybe you should have taken another year or two, maybe even 5 if needs have been, to comeback with a KILLER sequel! "...Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" just doesn't top its predecessors. I figured out the plot to the story - from beginning to end- after the first 5 minutes- total bummer. I loved that they filmed most of it down in South America and tried to mix ancient Mayan culture and myth into the story- but there were just too many "cheesy" parts in the movie. I LOVED Harrison as Indiana- HATED Cate Blanchett's character- LOVED Shia LaBeouf's character Mutt, (he made me chuckle enough through out the movie to keep me awake)- LOVED the music- who doesn't though- especially when it's so TIMELESS and makes us reminisce about the ORIGINAL first 3 INDIE flicks we watched as children. I HATED the ending of the movie- too Steven Spielberg'ish (you'll know what I mean once you've seen the movie too and remember Steven's the man responsible for directing 1977's "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and "E.T." and "War of the Worlds". What's his fascination with other life intelligences???)
Anyhow, I hope my movie review for "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" doesn't discourage you from seeing it in theaters... it's still worth watching on the big screen. Just make a date night out of it.
Another movie we just watched recently was "Prince Caspian" of the Chronicles of Narnia. I enjoyed this movie- it was kinda long though and I feel like maybe it could have been "cut back" some. I've never actually READ all of the books, but I have listened to all 6 of the books on c.d. and "Prince Caspian" portrayed in film is FAR more entertaining than the audio version.
A little over two weeks ago- maybe it's been 3 already, we went and watched Tina Faye and Amy Poehler's movie "Baby Mamma". I LOVED this movie! It was really funny, and it didn't have the kind of lewd humor I expected would be in it. One of my favorite scenes from the movie is where Tina and Amy's characters are at birthing class along with a lot of other pregnant women and their significant others; the instructor asks which of the pregnant "Mamma's" expect to deliver their babys completely NATURAL- all the mom's raise their hands except Amy's character, so then the instructor asks which of the mom's want to use epidurals and other pain killers to deliver their baby and Amy's character is the ONLY one who raises her hand!!! All the other mom's, including the instructor, are completely appalled. It's hilarious!!! I have to laugh though- because real discussions I've had with some moms or "soon to be mothers" aren't to far fetched from the movies depiction. I mean what is it with mom's who LOVE to rant and rave, and want praise from strangers, because they chose to birth their child completely NATURAL with out an epidural or C-section???!!! UGGGGHHH- really who cares?! Keep it to yourself please. Can't some of us mothers appreciate modern day medicine and get an epidural without also getting a guilt trip?!
Lastly, before I end my list of movie reviews, I thought I'd insert my opinion about a movie a saw nearly a month ago, called "Emma Smith: My Story". This movie was FABULOUS and REALLY moving! If you haven't seen it I TOTALLY RECOMMEND you go and watch it- take some tissues though- you'll need them!
Oh before I forget to mention- I know a lot of my friends are HUGE fans of Stephanie Meyers "Twilight" book series that Hollywood is actually making into a feature film. The first preview of the movie is out now and you can see it when you go to watch either "Indiana Jones" or "Prince Caspian". The preview says the movie is due out in December. Start getting excited Ladies to watch the real romance between Edward and Bella come to life on the big screen!!!
4 comments:
Thanks for the movie reviews. Very good to know. I saw the trailer for Twilight and Edward totally scared me so we'll have to see how that turns out. . . Hope you're feeling well.
.....didn't know you reviewed movies -- pretty good. Just like with the paid movie critics, though, I usually like the movies the critics hate....and vice versa.
Keep up the good work!
....gotta go now -- I.J. starts in a few minutes.
Dad T.
I agree with you, I was very disapointed with Indiana Jones...after reading your blog I want to go see "Emma Smith: my story" in a couple of weeks when I go to Ut. How long until your new baby is born?
I was psyched about seeing the new Indiana movie until you and a bunch of other people all said that it's a huge disappointment. WHAT A BUMMER!! The first 3 were SO good.
And I completely agree with you about the Baby Mama scene about using pain meds during labor. WHO CARES if a woman chooses to use those or not? It's her body and her choice. I don't think that going with a natural birth makes you any more of a woman than opting for an epidural.
I had Joanna naturally and decided after that, NEVER AGAIN!! Why go through all that if you don't have to?!?!
I'm with you...enjoy the fruits of modern medicine!!! I'm sure all the women who lived during times when epidurals weren't available are looking down from heaven and thinking, DANG IT!! If only WE had those. I would've had one with all my children!!! ;-)
Post a Comment