Swimming Lessons...

So I decided to enroll both of the boys two weeks ago in swimming lessons. I had to enroll the two of them in the same class (Parent/Tot) since Noah still isn't old enough to advance into the next level of training. This is Ian's 1ST year taking the class and this is Noah's 3RD year taking the course. 
We started classes last Monday (June 2ND) and we've gone every day, Monday-Friday, for half hour classes at 11:30 a.m. The weather last week was pretty yucky (cold and very windy), but thankfully they keep the outdoor pool at the SCERA heated right around 80 degrees so the boys didn't seem to mind the lack of sun. The last two days the weather's actually been pleasant and there's been lots of sun to enjoy while swimming. The course last for 2 weeks- until this Friday- and each morning I pray I won't go into labor- I just want to finish up the course with the boys and let them enjoy the class without the complication of Mom's water breaking at swim lessons.
Noah absolutely LOVES the water, and he's doing such a good job swimming.
He doesn't swim on his own yet, but with some assistance he's developed really STRONG kicks and he's learning how to use his arms along with his legs to swim. He's completely comfortable blowing bubbles and putting his head under water; he floats pretty well on his back and even kicks well while on his back; he LOVES to lay out in the water near the shallow end of the pool and he learned on his own how to scale the pools perimeters and climb out of the pool from the side all by himself. He REALLY LOVES the last 5 minutes of class when he's allowed to slide down the mini waterslides there at the pool.
I would never trust to leave Noah unattended near a pool of course- what parent would???- but I'm confidant that he's comfortable in the water enough to know his boundaries and not cross them by jumping off into the deep end of the pool where he isn't able to swim or reach the bottom. He's enjoying his freedom in the water and being more than an arms distance from me and I can clearly see it delights him. He's growing up!
Ian surprised me and took a likeness to the water almost immediately too!!! Initially I thought he wouldn't like it because when we visited the beach in San Diego this last April he hated the water, but maybe that was due to a combination of things such as the sand, the waves, and the heat from the sun. Anyhow, Ian really loves the water! The minute we arrive at the pool and set Ian down on the cement so we can undress down to our swimsuits, Ian's instantly crawling off into the water!
He LOVES to blow bubbles and stick his face in the water- he doesn't even seem to mind getting his entire face wet either. The first week he did really well kicking his feet in the pool- but these last two days he's been a little lazier and likes to just sit in the water and soak in the sun. He can actually practically pull himself out from the side of the pool in deep water- he needs only but a little assistance from either Spencer or myself.
We're having a GREAT time with swimming lessons and it's been such a treat to have Spencer join us during classes to help with one of the boys. 
I'm almost positive Noah will be disappointed after this week to find out he no longer has swim lessons in the mornings- hopefully once the baby is born and we've settled into a routine as a family, I can find both the time and the energy to take the boys to Seven Peaks Water Park where we renewed our summer passes. If anyone wants to join us there for a day, let me know!
2 comments:
Looks like fun. I really need to get Summer in swim lessons. Good luck on your upcoming labor.
How fun that both of your boys love water! My mom, being the California girl that she is, taught us all to love swimming. (It helps that we lived on islands in the Caribbean for seven years of my childhood.) I'm a big beach/pool person, so naturally I want my kids to be that way. Well, Elijah is. We go to our complex pool all the time and he is in seventh heaven. Seara, however, even hates bath time. She always has. When we go to the pool she prefers to sunbathe. Weird little thing! :)
Post a Comment