Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day 3: California Adventure Park with Grandma C. and Aunt Megan.

I left my two youngest with my family in San Diego and took the three older boys, Noah, Ian and Cohen with me up to Anaheim to meet up with my mother in law, Linda, and sister in law, Megan, Thursday morning at California Adventure Park.  This was the first time both my in laws had visited the theme park and it had been YEARS since either of them had gone to Disneyland.
We couldn't have asked for better weather- it was a gorgeous day- not too hot and not too cold (thank goodness, because I forgot to pack any sort of hoodies or long sleeved shirts for the boys on this trip--- I was really hoping it wouldn't get too cold at night because I didn't want to have to blow beaucoup $$$ on buying sweatshirts at Disneyland for the boys)... it wasn't even really that crowded either... again, a good thing.
This was Cohen's first time to both of the parks since he was a baby... 
he was really able to appreciate this visit more than he did his first time.
We're HUGE fans of Jake and the Neverland Pirates!
Note: My boys aren't terribly fond of actual "Meet and Greets" with Disney characters.... they love to see them, but fear actually interacting with them... the only one I could coax into getting his picture taken with them was Cohen... that is until we came across Mater and Lightening McQueen.  Ian was really excited to have his picture taken with them... It's too bad my sister in law, Megan, who wasn't familiar with my camera, thought she took like 10 pictures of us with the cars, but in the end didn't take any except for this last one where we're all walking away.
It's a DARN good thing there was an actual photographer at this photo op. stop and it's a darn good thing I thought to stop and ask him for the Disney photo pass card thinga-ma-jigger... because after purchasing a less than great 5x7 picture online at DisneyPhotoPass.com for $15--- yeah, that's right $15, TOTAL rip.off., we can now relive the moment over and over again with Mater and Lightening McQueen! Insert here, note to self: Next time I assume someone else other than myself knows how to use my camera--- don't.  It's an expensive mistake.
I braved the California  Screamin' roller coaster with Megan... that's us below in the front... I loved it, but if it gives you any idea just how intense this coaster is, immediately after the ride, I had to find a shop that sold Advil.  I got a HORRIBLE headache!
Who doesn't love Toy Story???  We stood in line forever waiting to get on the ride, only to be told half way through the line that the ride broke down... bummer. I never did get a chance to go back and ride it.
The boys had a great time! Ice cream, smoothies, giant turkey legs... their bellies stayed full and their minds were racing with all the possibilities of things to do! However, they argued a lot over who got to sit in which stroller and they all had their bad moments--- meltdowns, crying, whining, gnashing of teeth, throwing themselves down on the nasty dirty ground in front of hoards of people... Ian had a LOT of these moments... these were moments I'd rather like to forget about.  Originally, I wished to take all 5 boys to California Adventure and Disneyland for the two days, but BOY, AM I SO. GLAD. I came to my senses and decided just to take the three oldest! Really, the boys weren't THAT bad; I may have exaggerated a little but they did cry and whine (hey, they're only 3, 4 and 5 years old!)--- and at one point Ian was even screaming--- it was incredibly embarrassing because I was scrambling to take him AWAY from the crowds of people so they wouldn't get annoyed but every where I turned to go, there were crowds of people STARING as if they'd never seen a screaming child before! I've made some new observations during our trip here to So. Cal (it's kinda funny I'm only NOW making these observations seeing as how I spent most of my life living in So. Cal)... one BIG one that I've noticed is that California isn't quite as kid friendly as Utah is.  Folks can tolerate one or two loud kids, but 5--- WHOA! I like to think the boys bad behavior they exhibited from time to time over the course of both days at both parks was probably due to lack of sleep on their part; vacation to So. Cal ALWAYS runs us ragged! We'll probably need at least a week AFTER vacation to catch up on sleep and get back into a routine of napping during the day and going to bed early during the evening.

0 comments: