Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Soccer...

Immediately following the end of baseball season, Noah began playing soccer on a city league team consisting of 3 1/2 and 4 years olds. I think Noah was the only kid on his team who turned 5 during the season, but it didn't matter that he was older than most of the team because he was still smaller than most of the players.  I was pretty excited to enroll Noah in soccer this year, since I spent so many years as a child and teenager playing the sport and had such a great time playing... Noah was pretty excited about starting soccer too and really liked the practices and games, minus all the running and the heat. Yep, Noah's not really the kinda kid who likes to run and truth be told, there's a LOT of running in soccer.  He just easily gets tired from running ... partially due to his Hypotonia.  I'm AMAZED and slightly terrified actually at how much some of those 3 and 4 year old kids ran, never seeming to get exhausted.  They were REALLY HYPER!  I pity the parents of some of those kids though because I'm sure parenting a child with that much energy probably DOES get extremely exhausting!  I tried a couple of times to sugar Noah up with pixie sticks before a game, just to give him an extra "oomph!" of energy, but it didn't work.  Oh well, so he's just not a runner.  I don't blame him though, at least 90% of the games were played in the sweltering heat, mid day.  It was HOT! I'm surprised none of the kids passed out from the heat. I was nauseous from the rising temps just watching them run around.

Noah's team called themselves The Lions The coach held practice once during the week and games were typically always on the weekend... 40 minutes long.  The soccer season lasted through August, September and into October... Between practices and games, I really started to get an idea of what it feels like to be a soccer mom... I can't say I love it, but it's what I'm destined to be for the next 18 years mothering four boys.
Below is a picture of Noah on his first day of practice with the team...
Unlike real soccer, where each player has a position, Noah's little soccer league just sort of let the kids go at it... which literally meant kids were kicking each other in the ankles and shins (thank heavens for shin guards!), pushing each other out of the way to get at the ball, clustering around the ball and every once in a while, someone made a goal... usually out of pure luck.  There were a few times kids from the opposing team took and shot a goal scoring for us; it's a good thing the refs didn't really keep score otherwise some of their teammates may have been REALLY upset with them....  I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the games were EXTREMELY entertaining! They were well worth melting in the sun to watch.

No kid was really better than any others on Noah's team; well, actually that's a lie... the coach's son was pretty good but at least half the goals he scored were for the other team... but every now and then we played another team of 3 and 4 year olds that had one kid on the team who was like a junior Pele!  Seriously, there were two kids in the league whose footwork and speed was cRaZy good!!!  They're what I'd consider natural soccer players; destined to grow up and play MLS.

Grandpa Campbell came to Noah's last game of the season... 
 BOY, did Noah put on a show for grandpa!  He actually ran like Seabiscuit during the game AND the highlight of the game was when towards the end he scored a goal!  
Below is a picture of Noah moments before he scored a goal...
It's sort of hard to tell what is happening in the picture below 
but to clarify things, 
Noah's doing a "throw in" to his team from the sideline... 
it was actually a really good throw, only problem was that his team mates weren't watching...
Noah had fun and enjoyed a great season... hopefully by next Spring both boys, Noah and Ian, will be playing soccer... until then I think it would be good to work on speed and stamina with Noah.


Oh, I nearly forgot to add, that while Noah played t-ball during the summer, the only way we could get him to actually run the bases was by encouraging him to "run like a rocket"... Spencer would count down each time and Noah would take off at "BLAST OFF!"H.I.L.L.A.R.I.O.U.S.!!!
The Lions...
Noah's on the bottom row, far right.
The coach handed out awards to Noah and his team mates after the last game ended...
Noah sure was thrilled to get a medal in soccer, but I don't think the medal could quite trump his excitement when he learned that following the game grandpa would follow us home and let the boys help him plant tulip bulbs in our flower beds!  I know I sure can't wait till next Spring to see 200+ tulips blooming in front of my house!!!

0 comments: