Take a look at what the stork brought us...
Bentley Stone Harker Campbell was born on Thursday, August 13Th at 1:40 in the afternoon. His delivery was quick (I didn't even have to push! Just as I inhaled to begin pushing, the doctor told me to STOP... the baby was already out!) and virtually painless (thanks to my medicine cocktail: pitocin and an epidural). He was a little "extra cheesy" (not my words, they were the doctors exact words he used to describe all the extra vernix that covered Bentley's skin) but healthy. Hallelujah! 8 pounds 1 ounce and 21 inches long (small if you compare his weight to either Ian's or Cohen's birth weight 8 pounds 7 ounces & 9 pounds even). This was actually the first time a baby of ours had been born healthy; unlike his brothers, he didn't have to stay a week in the NICU, nor did he need emergency surgery or have to have us schedule consultations with a geneticist. He did however, have jaundice, so we were asked to take him every morning for a little over a week after we were discharged from the hospital, to the hospitals lab to have his billirubin levels read.For the first hour of life, Bentley remained nameless; the nurses just called him "Baby Boy Campbell" and we called him "It". Spencer and I brainstormed a little, and finally reached an agreement in which we decided to name our son, Bentley Stone Harker Campbell. "Bentley", because we liked the name. It's more commonly found as a last name; but I came across it a few months into my pregnancy and learned that it meant "clever" among other meanings (and contrary to what a few of our friends and family members believe, NO, WE DID NOT name our son after the automobile Bentley). We chose "Stone" for his middle name because originally Spencer wanted to name our child Vedder, honoring one of his favorite musicians, Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam... BUT... Vedder sounded too cheesy, not to mention I also HATE the band Pearl Jam; there was absolutely NO WAY I'd consent to name my child Vedder, so he scrapped that name but then thought of the name Stone... as in Pearl Jams band member Stone Gossard (he plays rhythm guitar); Spencer suggested the name Stone to me and I surrendered; it became evident he was really determined to honor his favorite band by naming our child after one its members ."Stone" really wasn't a name he had to "sell me on" because I had always liked the name Stone; it reminded me of a handsome fellow I admired by the name of Stone Phillips, a co-anchor for NBC Dateline; it's a show I've followed and watched religiously week after week for years (let's not forget the real reason I admired Stone... it was because he was the anchor of the news journal I once wanted to aspire to host myself). We chose to be nontraditional and give Bentley a 2ND middle name, "Harker"; named after Spencer's great grandparents; The Harkers were ancestors who made the pioneer voyage from Europe to Nauvoo, IL and then onward to Utah during the height of the pioneer movement West. Like many of their counterparts, these ancestors endured many hardships, trials and even losses. I have always wanted my children to appreciate their heritage, remember those ancestors of theirs that acted selflessly to give them the better lives they have today, so we thought there would be no better way to honor and remember them than to name Bentley after his forefathers.
Spencer sent out an announcement about Bentley's birth almost immediately after the fact via Facebook, Gmail, Blogger and text messaging (which just for the record: I was mortified when I finally saw the pictures he attached of me with Bentley; they were totally unflattering; and Bentley still had all that goop all over his eyes and face that the nurses lather on them once they're born... it looked kinda gross!) We received tons of well wishes from friends and family in response. THANK YOU! While we appreciated reading over or listening to all the "well wishes" we got back in turn, a thought posted on my Facebook from one of my old college FHE brothers, Russel Stevenson,(he was a real goofy kid by nature) made me roll with laughter; I thought I'd share what he had to say here:
"That kid is going to have all the girls w/a name like Bentley.
You should make him drive a Pinto, just cuz...:)"
You should make him drive a Pinto, just cuz...:)"
I was exhausted after the delivery. In fact, I thought I was going to drop Bentley when they handed him to me because I was so tired. I should have slept the night before I went into the hospital but I stayed up till 3:30a.m. cleaning my house and folding laundry; then I was up 2 hours later getting showered and dressed and by 7, we were at the hospital. Even though I was comfortable through out the entire labor process, I was too anxious to sleep, and by the last hour I COULDN'T sleep because I felt like vomiting!
I imagined after the baby was delivered that I'd be able to get a little "shut eye" but I only managed to get + or - 30 minutes. Though I liked my nurses, they were in and out of my room every 20 minutes, just checking up on me... so annoying!...... and we had little visitors, like the ones below, who wanted to come and meet their new brother!
Here's our first official family picture.
Don't you just love that expression on Noah's face???
Wanna guess which of these four requires most of my attention these days???
No not our newborn Bentley;
it is in fact our 3, almost 4 year old, who needs to be constantly watched.
There's no telling what mischief he's going to get himself into.
Don't you just love that expression on Noah's face???
Wanna guess which of these four requires most of my attention these days???
No not our newborn Bentley;
it is in fact our 3, almost 4 year old, who needs to be constantly watched.
There's no telling what mischief he's going to get himself into.
Another family picture...we took probably 30 of them,
but can you believe that the following was the 2ND best?!
Just in case you were wondering the age difference between all 4 of our kids...
Noah was REALLY delighted to hold his new brother for the first time.Check out his eyes... they're "smiling"
(that means he is smiling with eyes and apparently it's hard to do,
because half the models on Tyra Banks America's Next Top Model show can't pull off "smiling" with their eyes).
Gotta love the look on Ian's face in this picture.He was "curious, and curiouser" about baby Bentley.
Oh and by the way, everyone that saw Bentley the day he was born
agreed that Bentley looked just like Ian.
He's definitely in fact a Truesdell!
Cohen's first encounter with his younger brother was precious.He'd never really been around a baby younger or smaller than himself,
so he was extremely curious once he saw the nurse wheel Bentley's carriage into the room.
He just stared at Bentley for a good 3 or 4 minutes before making any sort of gesture towards him.
Ooh, I nearly forgot to add... it had only been a year since the last time I'd been a patient and delivered Cohen in the Labor and Delivery wing at Orem Community Hospital. A few of the nurses who cared for me a year ago and watched after Cohen in the NICU were still working at the hospital during my hospital stay with Bentley and they remembered me AND Cohen. Some of the nurses were even giddy to see Cohen a year later, healthy and energetic; such a change from the last time they'd seen him a year back.
Les and Linda came to meet their new grandson.They'd been in fact watching Noah and Ian for us while we were in the hospital.
My sister Tricia and her family watched Cohen during our stay at the hospital.We were extremely fortunate to have our family near us on "D Day" to help watch over our other kiddos.
Oh I nearly forgot mention, the afternoon Bentley was born there were light rain showers across the valley and rainbows! Tricia and other family members who came to visit us at the hospital told us that they saw 4 or 5 rainbows surrounding the hospital.It reminded me of lyrics from The Carpenters song, Close to You...
"On the day that you were born
and the angels got together
and decided to create a dream come true"...
... rainbows
It really is rare we ever see a rainbow here in the valley.
Since the delivery went well and Bentley was healthy, I asked to be leave the hospital once my 24 hours post delivery was over. No sense in sticking around the hospital eating gross hospital food, being poked and prodded at every half hour by the nurses when I had a nice, clean, quiet house to go home to. The delivery was OVER and I was anxious to get back home, back in control of things at the homestead.
Dressed, buckled and ready to head home..
I'm not sure if you remember this post;the one about Spencer "babysitting" my brother in laws Bentley(automobile)...
well, Trish and Vic eventually came back from their vacation,
but insisted that we keep their Bentley until our return home the hospital.
They wanted us to drive our baby Bentley home in their Bentley...
only appropriate, don't you think???
How many other kids in this world can say their name is Bentley
and they rode home from the hospital as an infant in one???
Really we don't mean to spoil him already...
remember,
as my friend Russel put it
"...with a name like Bentley.
You should make him drive a Pinto, just cuz...:)"
No worries Russ.
We fully intend to find him a Pinto to drive by his 16TH birthday!



3 comments:
Steph: YOU ARE AMAZING! Love the post, the details, the explanations, the labeled photos--Bentley is definitely one LUCKY baby! He has so many to love him!! :) I love the family photos, especially the one where Noah is playing with your hair--too cute!
That's awesome about the ride home, I didn't know that. I also love Noah's "Smizing" as Tyra calls it now...they all do...this season it's all about the Smize. John couldn't stop laughing. Thank you Tyra Banks.
I love this post! There is something so neat about seeing you all together in the hospital room. love it! What a darling baby.
Post a Comment