Friday, October 26, 2007

"Weekend Warrior"

What's a "Weekend Warrior" you ask???... Well, a "Weekend Warrior" just so happens to be me- or so I was told. You see, as I mentioned previously, Spencer was kind and bought me my own running treadmill. I started using it immediately. I was eager to start working off the extra pounds I'd gained during both of my pregnancies. I used to run quite a bit, but honestly- it's been 5 years since I've ran long distances on a daily basis. (I know 5 years! I couldn't believe it when I counted the time that's passed but yep, last time I really ran a lot was pre-mish and that means it has been 5 years). Well, I thought I was taking things slowly- I started out running 1 1/2 miles the first day, then I moved up to 2 miles after 2 days. Then I made it to 2 1/2 miles after 4 days of running, and then by the 5Th day I was running 3 miles a day. I ran the whole distance and never stopped to walk. Ultimately I want to run between 6- 7 miles a day again, like I used to in the past- so I was excited to see that I was half way to my goal after only a week! I made sure to do a quick pace "cool down" walk after every run for at least another 10-15 minutes, and I always stretched before and after my runs.
Well, after about a week into running, I started to feel a little stiff- my calf muscles were pretty tight, and about a week and a half into running, my right knee started to feel a little sore. I thought nothing of it, and ran on it for two more days, and on the third day when I tried to run, my right leg nearly gave out. I've never had any knee problems before in my life, so I was a bit concerned. I tried to stay off of my right knee as much as I possibly could for the following 4 days, but it still hurt like crazy. In fact- the pain was so intense- I was having problems sleeping. I decided to visit the doctor and have him look at it- I didn't want it developing into anything that would become a problem again later on with running. It was during my Dr's visit when he told me I was a "Weekend Warrior"- it's a term they use for someone who gets too much exercise and isn't pre-conditioned for it. He diagnosed my knee problem as being what's called Anserine Bursitis. It's inflammation or an irritation of the anserine bursa. There was no immediate remedy to fixing my knee problem other than to treat it by icing it and staying off it. I could take Ibuprofen or Tylenol to dull the pain. The doc said if the pain still persisted after 4-6 weeks, I could come back for a steroid shot.
So, after my doctor's visit, I was a bit relieved to find out it wasn't anything major or threatening- although- it could eventually become a problem and lead to arthritis in my knee. I had to stay off my knee for nearly two weeks before it started feeling better! My ankles are a bit swollen cuz I shifted so much of my weight onto them while trying to keep the weight off of my knees. I'm giving my knees a break for a few days, and on Monday, I figure I'll be back on the treadmill- only this time- I plan to work up to my mileage goal more gradually so as not to hurt myself again. It's no fun being a "Gimp". ;)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so amazing!! Two miles after two days?! When I started training for my half marathon, I started by running three minutes four times a week. I did that for a week, then upped myself to four minutes. Then five, then six, etc. I thought I was dying by the time I got to 30 minutes!! (Admittedly, I made bigger minute jumps after the first few weeks, but still.) I hope you heal quickly and get back to the treadmill soon!