Friday, October 26, 2007

The occasional update...

Over the last week, Noah has added the words "No", "Don't", and "Why" to his vocabulary. I was hoping by some way of a miracle he'd never learn those words- but he's like every other two year and now he owns those words! It's kinda funny cuz if we ask him to do something or not to do something, he'll immediately ask us "why". I make it a point to answer him and not just ignore him or say "because I said so", but this only encourages him to question me more. He'll ask us again, once or twice more, "Why", and it's at that point where answers are hard to come by.
He's been quite the busy little kid. He entertains himself now with a marble game- he wants to play with it all the time! He's learned how to close doors using the door knob, but he still has yet to learn how to open them. That will be the day! He's been doing really well sleeping in his big boy bed. He climbs into bed all by himself. Occasionally during naps, he'll stay up for 10-15 minutes and play with his toys. Sometimes I'll go into to wake him from his nap and he'll have toys littered all across his bedsheets. There have been a few times where he's snatched Ian's bottle from him during nap time. We've caught him in the act each time. He knows immediately that he's in the wrong- so he'll toss the bottle and run back to bed. I'm happy to see he has a "guilty conscious" when he's in the "wrong"- it makes disciplining a little bit easier.
He's growing up so fast- the other day while we were getting ready for bed, he overheard tune to the "ABC" song and he started to sing the song all by himself. He managed to remember and pronounce "H.I.G.K." correctly and the rest sounded like a mix between German and Swahili.
We were watching Tarzan just last week, and he started crying during the sad part in the beginning of the movie where Tarzan is a baby and his parents are killed. It was so cute to see him get teary eyed! He tried to hide his tears by covering his face with a blanket- he was a little embarrassed that Spencer and I saw him crying. He cried again in another part of the movie where the Gorilla's baby is killed too. It amazes me to see that my Noah, barely 2 years old, already connects events with emotion! We were watching Edward Scissor Hands two weeks ago and he got freaked out when he saw Johnny Depp and his hands of scissors! Just four months ago, he probably would have watched it and would have thought nothing of it.
Ian's hit a milestone! He's finally learned how to roll over! Of course I was out of the room when he did it, but I didn't need to witness it to know he did it on his own because when I left him he was on the floor on his back and when I returned to the room a minute later, he had flipped over onto his belly! He's really beginning to get quite a personality. He likes to laugh a lot and he smiles a lot too. He's been a lot happier the last couple of weeks through out the night than he had been. He started sleeping through the night without waking when he was just a month and a half old. After we returned from our trip to San Diego, around the 14Th of September, he started to wake up once or twice during the night. He kept this up for about 3 weeks. I was worried that his sleeping schedule got disrupted during our vacation and that he'd never adjust to sleeping through the night again! Since Noah had no problem switching from sleeping in his crib to a big bed, I decided about two weeks after making that change to switch Ian from his bassinet into the crib. I was worried that Ian would keep Noah awake through the night, or the other way around. My worries were put to rest though, because Ian actually once again slept all through the night. He hasn't woken up once yet through the night and it's been almost two weeks since the two boys have been sharing their room together! In fact, Ian actually sleeps in longer in the mornings, until 10 or so, before waking up for his first bottle. What a blessing! Anyhow, I had thought our vacation disturbed Ian's sleeping schedule but what I finally realized was that it wasn't that at all! In fact, I think the reason Ian wasn't sleeping well was because he was just too big for his bassinet! Plain and simple. The boy is long- he barely had 1/2 inch left of space in the bassinet. It never occurred to me that he may be squished in there and uncomfortable while he slept because Noah was so small when he was the same age as Ian! In fact, I was just comparing both of their growth charts that the doctor gave me at their checkups, and at his 4 month check up, nearly 2 months ago, Ian was already the same height Noah was when Noah was 14 months old!!! Is that not absolutely crazy!!! The same goes for weight. Ian is already the same weight that Noah was at only at 16-17 months old! Ian's quite solid.
I finally managed to finish reading "Fablehaven 2: Rise of the Evening Star". I got the book over the summer in July, started reading it, quit and it wasn't until now that I just sat down to finish reading it. It's a great book- it's a series of books that kids read- so obviously it's easy reading material- if you like the Harry Potter book series, you'll love Fablehaven. Now I need to find a new good book to read, so if anyone has any good suggestions- I could use them. Note: I don't plan on reading the Twilight Book series, so please don't suggest them to me. I had two different people on the very same day tell me about them. I'm just not interested.
I've been keeping busy making Halloween treats. Now that Halloween will come and go here quickly, I'm already starting to plan ahead for Thanksgiving. Every year of our marriage that we've been here in Utah and not out of state visiting else where, I've made Thanksgiving Dinner. I don't mind it, in fact I really enjoy cooking the feast all day for the family. I'm a bit traditional I guess. If anyone has any fabulous Thanksgiving recipe ideas they want to share, I'd love to look them over and consider them for our family feast menu.
Spencer's been extremely busy lately with work and school. He just finished up his last Math class- he received a B+ in it. Technically he finished all his classes last April and he should have graduated, but he was missing the credit for one math class. He'd been putting off taking Math for as long as possible because it's not a course he could just breeze his way through- math challenges him a little bit, just as it does to most of mankind. He worked really hard through the course and managed to score an 87% on his final! I am extremely proud of him for doing so well, and finally- he'll actually graduate this December! Now he's in the process of submitting applications for graduate school- they all have to be in by December; In February we should know where we are going to be living at this time next year. It's exciting!!!

0 comments: