Discovering I'm NOT Martha...
I USED to think of myself as a little Martha Stewart... I could cook, bake, sew {okay, I can't sew yet, but it's my goal to learn by the end of the year}, mold, paint, organize, craft and host a party just like Martha... or so I believed,... that is, until... I joined Pinterest a couple of months ago and realized I've got nothing on some of these mommy bloggers! To say the least, I've been humbled... and it's okay. I've come terms with this truth and I've accepted the fact that there will always be somebody better than me... which is fine. What is truly important is that I strive to be the best ME! Thanks to Pinterest {which I've refrenced now at least a dozen times on my blog--- do I get some sort reward???}, I'm learning new things... who knew that peroxide had so many uses around the home?! Or felt?! I'm crafting more too! It's liberating!
By nature, I'm a perfectionist {just like Martha}... when I start things, the only way I'm going to finish something is if {in my mind} it's perfect. Generally speaking, I have a good understanding of how things are constructed and I can usually duplicate things with ease... most of the time, you'd never know which was the original and which was the copy, but sometimes, matter of fact, very rarely {I hate to toot my own horn here but it's true}, I mess up... and not just a little bit, but in BIG ways! Here's one of my most recent flops...
I found the idea to make snow globes with my children online... they looked simple enough to make and what kid DOESN'T LOVE snow globes?! I bought all of the supplies I needed: jars, glitter, glycerine and a little Christmas figurine. One afternoon, just before Christmas, my boys and I made our snow globes. They looked pretty awesome when we were done with them, but over time {it didn't take much time}, I began to realize something was wrong. Terribly wrong! You see the little Santa Claus figurine we glued onto the base of each jar, was doubling in size! Eventually it more than quadrupled in size!!! Our cute little snow globes no longer looked cute; they were starting to resemble scary science experiments!!! I couldn't for the life of me figure out what we I did wrong. I read over the instructions time and time again checking for any error I might have made... perhaps I used too much glycerine in the snow globes??? Nope. Then,... it occurred to me that I should check the packaging for the Santa Claus figurines I'd bought and used. There it was, in fine print on the front of the wrapper--- this Santa Claus was one that grew when submerged in water!!! Ah hah!!! It's no wonder Santa Clause was outgrowing the confines of his teeny tiny little jar.

0 comments:
Post a Comment