Haircuts and the fireman's pole...
So I did it. I finally did it. I gave in to all of my qualms, bought a pair of scissors to cut hair and with the help of a comb, spray bottle, clippers and my nifty new scissors, I cut 4 of our 5 boys hair. I wish I could say they look fab. Their hair was so long, wavy and thick- I was hoping to just trim the sides and cut only enough on the top of each of their heads so I could style their hair in faux hawk fashion, but, yes, I said BUT, the process of cutting their hair wasn't nearly as easy as how I had imagined it would be. Every one of them were ready and willing to get their hair cut--- it probably helped that I was bribing them with bits of candy, but once I started sheering their hair off with the hair clippers, they were screaming and crying and moving ALL.OVER.THE.PLACE!!! Oh good lordy, I couldn't get them to sit still, so I ended up cutting way too much off on top- it will be at least a month or so before I can style their hair with styling gel, and Spencer later told me I took W.A.Y. too much off on their sideburns, OOPS! and well, please don't laugh at Bentley's hair--- just as I was trimming the front of his hair, he moved entirely and well, I chopped a big notch of hair off in the front so his hairline is totally uneven... Oops again!!! It's a good thing their hair will grow back and I've learned a valuable lesson: I may think I can do a lot of things completely on my own because these are things that look simple enough, namely cutting our boys hair- but I've learned the hard way, I can't. It's better from here on out to just leave it to the professionals.
Before I forget, we're still doing our Christmas book countdown... last night we read "The Little Match Girl", written by Hans Christian Andersen... somehow, I'd never ever read or heard the story before--- I mean I've always heard OF it but never heard the tale and I have to admit, it's just sad. I know a lot of people have told me they love it, but it's just downright sad and imagine how my boys felt too at the end of the story... yep you guessed it! Sad. Note to self: It might be a good idea to read all of these books before I decide to wrap them and read them to my boys. Tonight we read "One Winter's Day", written by M. Christina Butler and illustrated by Tina MacNaughton. This is a book that belongs to us, so it was nice to read something our boys are familiar with and something that is light and fun.
Now that we only have 9 more days until Christmas after tonight {is that just absolutely cRaZy to anyone else other than myself?! I guess I ought to start getting my Christmas shopping done...} we're also doing a 12 Days of Christmas story telling and candy giving thingy in the evening just before bed too. Tonight we read the story about Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and about the story's origins. It's really a fascinating story.


3 comments:
Im impressed you tried it with scissors! I only ever use the razor (8 on top, 7 & 6 on the side, and 5 & 4 at the bottom). I guess I do use scissors a tiny bit around the ears, but I'm not too gutsy. I usually put on a movie and promise a treat if they are good, and after the first few times of getting used to it, they don't hardly complain at all. :)
Hey, I only cut les hair once and never again-- it looked terrible and his students knew I'd cut it.
LOL...Mom, be honest now...it WAS you that gave me that pixie cut when I was about 11 wasn't it?
Post a Comment