The Holy War...
Remember this game???
It was the Holy War, otherwise known as the UofU vs. BYU football game.
According to Wikipedia :
"The Holy War is a college football rivalry game played between the University of Utah UTES and the Brigham Young University (BYU) Cougars. The game is part of the larger Utah-BYU rivalry. In this rivalry context, the term Holy War refers to the fact that BYU is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and the University of Utah is a public university run by the State of Utah. Although many Utah fans are LDS, the term "Holy War" also refers to the stark cultural differences of the respective fan bases. The proximity of the two schools, the athletic successes of the two teams, and the longevity of the series also contribute to the rivalry."
Click here to read more.
Yours truly, that would be me, got to accompany my hot husband, Spencer, to this game- it was a BIG deal people. You see we have 6 season tickets to each BYU football game but as it turns out, I only get to make it to usually one game during the season because, well... someone has to stay home with the kids and that someone is me. Spencer's a die hard Cougar fan- true blue through and through- he's been going to BYU football games every season since the time he was 7. In a couple of years- if I'm lucky- he'll be taking all 5 of our boys to every home game during football season and I'll get some ME TIME at home alone! I'm already excited about it! B.T.W. I can't get over how perfectly it worked out that we have 6 boys in our family (including Spencer) and 6 season football tickets!!! It was meant to be!
Anyhow, moving forward... It was supposed to be a hot date night. All 5 boys were being babysat by grandma and grandpa and we had tickets to the BIGGEST game in the valley. As fate would have it, the night was anything but HOT! It was actually sort of chilly that evening (I'm not complaining though- anything beats the heat I've had to endure during games of past- coincidentally, this was the 1ST game I've been to in something like oh, 6 years that I haven't been pregnant and nauseous!);- we grabbed hamburgers from Carls Jr. just before the game. I never know if my food is cross contaminated with other food that has gluten in/on it, so I popped a Benedryl just to be safe before going into the game. I was awake and alert for the 1ST quarter but by the 2ND I was really struggling to stay awake; I needed clothespins to keep my eyelids open. It didn't help that the game was also a total loss! BYU kept turning over the ball!!! The energy in the stadium was totally dead!!! By the end of the 3RD we were ready to head out- BYU was loosing miserably, but there was already a crowd of Cougar fans trying to leave the stands so as it ends up, we didn't get out of the stadium until the 4TH. From the time we left the stadium and arrived at our car the UofU already made 2 more touchdowns! PATHETIC! The final score was 54-10. The UofU won. Obviously. I still, to this day, can think of about a million other things I should have been doing during that time we were at the game. I can't think about it a lot though- or else I begin to get upset. My time is valuable peeps. Oh well. The one thing I did appreciate about that particular evening was this stunning sunset (in the photo above) I caught a glimpse of from my seat in the stadium. It was gorgeous! So I suppose maybe the entire evening wasn't a loss and I DID get some alone time with my man to talk. It was wonderful! It's especially nice when we're accustomed to being interrupted every minute or two by kids needing a diaper change or their noses wiped.

1 comments:
way to get out on a date - not an easy task with 5 little ones.
Post a Comment