Thursday, July 29, 2010

Facebook..

What is it you might find yourself asking... (and if you are wondering what Facebook is, you better be over the age of 70 or younger than 10, because if you're between the ages of 11 through 69 years old and don't know, you need to work on catching up with the rest of us here in the 21ST century)...

"Facebook is a popular free social networking website that allows registered users to create profiles, upload photos and video, send messages and keep in touch with friends, family and colleagues." (click here for my reference).

I'm one of the many of millions of users signed up on the social networking website.  I use Facebook nearly every day to read what my friends across the globe are doing or see pictures they've posted of themselves.  I hate to admit it, but I'm addicted to the website just as much as I'm addicted to checking my email.  It's a good day when I don't feel the urge to post a comment.  I've been telling my sister Tricia for MONTHS now that one day I hope to quit Facebook cold turkey... but I haven't had the heart to do it yet.  I keep hearing rumors that the network is going to start charging people monthly fees to have an account set up with them, I've promised myself the day Facebook starts charging me money to use it is the day I'll sign off.

As for now, I get a kick from the sometimes funny, sometimes ridiculous comments or pictures my friends post of themselves.  I laugh at the expense of others sometimes when I see old pictures of them posted for all eyes to see; pictures the person probably would liked to have had burned or forgotten about.  Why is it so many users on Facebook like to tag people in their pictures???  Can't and shouldn't people in pictures you post on Facebook remain anonymous?!  I hate being tagged in pictures on Facebook.  If you tag me, no offense, but I usually delete it.

I'm happy just this instance though that my husband Spencer didn't get around to deleting the tag that one of his friends added of him in the senior class photo from Mountain View High School posted on the website for all eyes to see.  I'd never seen this picture before until now.  I couldn't find Spencer in the picture until I barely recognized him with his orange hair, positively the result of a bad bleach job.  It's a funny picture, don't you think?  I love the fact that there's a girl standing behind him who has to poke her head out to the side of his because she can't be seen past his big head!  It looks like a Seminary class photo, NOT like a high school graduating class portrait!  (Just for the record, my senior class portrait DID NOT LOOK ANYTHING LIKE THIS). Gotta love all the overalls the girls are wearing and all the ugly flannel; they were definitely the graduating class of 1996.  I chuckle looking at this picture because in 1996 as Spencer was on the verge of getting ready to engage on a new mission in life as a young adult, I was just 14 going on 15 and a freshman in high school.  I would have given ANYTHING to have a senior like me (little did I know until 8 years later, he was just living in a completely different state than me; it's okay though, I remind him all the time, I wouldn't have liked him high school had I known him.  I preferred skaters and surfers in my teen years.).  Spencer was just 16-17 years old when he graduated school- a youngin' in his class.  He was probably even shorter and smaller than most the guys he graduated with but made up in size with his spirit.  I'm told he was pretty loud and just a "good time Charlie" type of kid.  He was even the school mascot, a Bruin (it's a type of bear) during football season; he signed up for the job because he said he got to ride on the same bus as all the hot cheerleaders to all the games. 

Anyhow, I'm happy I logged onto Facebook today and saw this picture of my husband.  Maybe it's a good thing I didn't quit Facebook yet cold turkey or otherwise I wouldn't have seen this photo and gotten the good belly laugh I got from looking at it today!

1 comments:

Megan Campbell Carter said...

I appreciate you pointing him out...it took me 5 minutes to find him and then I couldn't stop laughing....