Friday, March 19, 2010

The final victory!

My two year old Ian, absolutely REFUSES to eat anything good for him.  He likes to eat candy and that's about it. Shocking huh?! I know, his diet baffles me too! If I were to try and to survive off of candy, you'd have to wheel me around in a wheelbarrow, I'd be so fat; but Ian doesn't even have a pinch of fat on him! He's had a six pack since he was a baby!

I was at my wits end trying to get him to eat his veggies and fruits... that's right about at the same time I decided to experiment a little in the kitchen and make a smoothie for the boys with spinach in it.
 The first time I made the smoothie the boys were sitting on their bar stools at the kitchen island watching me mix up my concoction.  I decided to use a handful of ice cubes, a cup of mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries and blackberries) a cup of vanilla yogurt, a cup of low fat milk, a squirt of Agave nectar (it's a natural sweetener, kind of like honey but healthier, that you can find sold in health food stores) and 4 heaping handfuls of spinach (rinsed and washed)

My boys were horrified when they saw me putting the spinach into the blender! Noah asked me WHY I was putting salad into the blender, as though I had lost my marbles and Ian repeated "YUCK!' at least 100 times. 

I blended all the ingredients together for a minute or two till I couldn't see anymore evidence of spinach in it; to be perfectly honest, I was even hesitant to take a sip of the smoothie- I mean WHO puts handfuls of spinach in their fruit smoothie??? I know Jamba Juice doesn't! BUT perhaps they should!

It really tasted good! No lie; not only could I NOT SEE the spinach, but I also couldn't taste it!  My boys liked it too! Noah drank two full glasses of the smoothie the first night I made it and Ian, my little picky eater who runs at the sight of anything green, HE drank 3 glasses!  They both LOVED it!

I've been mixing up one of these berry/spinach smoothies every day now for the last 3 1/2 weeks. My boys still guzzle them down and they'll actually choose the smoothie over a cookie if given an option between the two .  It feels good to win a long battle that I've been fighting Ian on since he was a baby and started eating solids.  He may tell you he doesn't like his veggies, but add some sprinkles to them or plop them in a blender with some yogurt, ice and some fruit and the kid will be begging you for more just after he finishes his first cup!

1 comments:

janae said...

I am seriously impressed. I don't know if I could drink something green!