No need to inquire...
The other day on the nightly news, I heard a study that claimed that for those households here in the U.S. that have a child who does not yet use the toilet by his or her self, the family spends on average, $2,ooo annually per child buying diapers! (I thought it sounded like too much, but seriously what do I know, it's not like I ever keep track of how many diapers we change each day- if one of our kids has a "poopers", we don't dabble over what it's costing us to use another diaper, for goodness sakes, we just change the thing!). If it's true, what the experts have determined, that means in OUR HOUSE this last year, we spent $6,000 on diapers alone, not including the cost of wipes or baby formula. INSANE right?! yeah- well it's just life as we know it- though, hopefully not for too much longer...
Noah's 3 and I know he should be potty trained, but, it's my fault he's not. I'm not too worried about it; he's a smart cookie, and once I really focus on the "toilet thing" with him, he should pick it up pretty quickly- until then, please, please do not judge me or ask me point blank in front of others how my "potty training" efforts are going with my son- it's not really your business to know and I don't need your help- at least for now; I'm a big enough person to ask for it when and if I need it. Thanks. I'm sorry folks, but I've been a bit BUSY these last 6 months; I've had good intentions ever since Noah was 2 to potty train him, but lets recap- hmmm, when he was 2, Ian was already 6 months old and crawling ALL OVER the place and I was already 2-3 months pregnant with Cohen and experiencing "morning sickness" every morning, noon, and night of each and every day. I've tried to "potty train" Noah ever since, but I haven't been consistent enough because, well, 6 months later I had Cohen, and a month or two after that, we moved. I've been trying to unpack, cook, clean and host holiday dinners ever since.
We'll get the teaching done soon enough and my little boy in diapers will soon be a "BIG BOY" using the potty- until then give me a break and don't ask me any more- I've got shopping to do, decorating that still needs to get done, a ham to bake, toy cars that need to be played with, and DIAPERS that NEED to be changed. If I'm LUCKY perhaps Noah will "potty train" by himself- I'm sure it happens occasionally for a few lucky moms, why can't I be one?
Did I forget to mention, once Noah is "potty trained", I'll have to start teaching Ian, and then 6 months later it will be Cohen's turn to start using the potty. GOOD GRIEF, what were we thinking??!
5 comments:
Well, not like my opinion counts, but I think it's your own dang business when you potty train and I don't can one whit that Noah's not. Why? Because Seara is older than him and she's not. I tried that one time for under two hours (a year plus ago) and haven't made a single attempt since. Obviously I've been in the same three kids - pregnant - moving - busy. Then add the UTI and that Seara reacted to our move out here by only pooping once every 8-10 days (let's not even talk about the trauma that was) and that lasted for three months. My current plan is to potty train both Seara and Elijah at the same time this coming spring. Elijah will be 2.5, Seara will be nearly 4. But why not combine them and just get it done with?? Anyway, I, for one, would rather spend the money on diapers than invest the energy that potty training will require!
I am soo with you I have 2 in diapers now...was really close to having 3. got my 3year old potty trained just before the baby was born!!! And for the record I hate potty training!!!
I tried potty training my little girl who was ready well before she was 2 but then we had a new baby and moved...all of which "they" recommend not potty training during because big life changes for little ones can affect the potty training...anyways I tried and tried and it was horrible and no fun and soooo many accidents with my little girl...then I got some really great advice from another mother...she potty trained her oldest and had the same experience then decided not to bother with the next one and so she potty trained herself...then the next one did too...so I decided to let my son do it himself! I did get lots of differnt potty movies for him to watch and I think that helped (he had no interest whatsoever at 3) I had way less accidents to deal with and it was so much less stressfull! so it does really happen...it's not just a myth that some kids potty train themselves! Not that you want my advice but I say just buy him some big boy underwear and get a few movies and let him do it in his own time...before you know it he will be potty trained and it will be alot easier for you!
You make me laugh! I love how straight forward you are. It seems to me that Mom's don't stick up for themselves enough, because we are all worried about what "they" think. People gave me grief for putting Lincoln in daycare, like its any of their business and acted like I wasn't raising our child at all. We need more moms who say "BUTT OUT"!
Good luck w/potty training, the house and the holidays. I hope we get to see you guys while we are up there.
I second Janae. You, me, and her are in the exact same boat dear. Don't feel bad AT ALL about not having Noah potty trained yet. Unless you have 3 kids in 3 years you HAVE NO IDEA how CRAZY INSANE life is and how little mental energy a mom has to devote to anything extra demanding on her time than potty training is.
We started Joanna in about April. She did REALLY good for a couple months; she went in the potty all day and only needed a diaper for sleeping. But then she went to Utah with Josh for 2 weeks over the summer and gave it up. (I'm still mad at Josh for this one. He didn't do the routine at all while there and she regressed.)
She completely lost interest and is just now getting back in the swing of it.
So yes, I'm with ya. Three kids and 3 in diapers. We spend about $150 a month on diapers and wipes right now. That's a car payment!!!
I graduate in a couple days and so my goal is to focus on potty training both Joanna and Jaclyn at the same time. Jaclyn has shown signs of readiness too.
Again, don't feel bad!! For the longest time I have felt that it's just easier to change more diapers than it would be to deal with a toddler, an infant, and hard pregnancy at the same time. Or like now, it's two toddlers and a newborn. Aaaahhhh!!!!
Post a Comment