Monday, October 8, 2007

A new tradition for Conference...

This last weekend was conference weekend where we had the opportunity to hear the Prophet along with other church leaders speak. I love conference weekend because I get to stay home and watch it on television or otherwise listen to it on the radio. There were some wonderful talks given this conference weekend- I admit I caught probably only heard 70% of all of the talks- my attention had to be on the boys too, and at times, Noah and/or Ian needed my help. I decided that I was going to start a new tradition for our family this conference weekend. Aside from watching conference at home in our p.j.'s, I thought it would be fun to bake cinnamon rolls for Sunday Morning conference. I'm not much of a baker- (generally because most baked goods require flour, and well, I don't do flour since it can practically kill me if I eat the slightest bit of it) anyhow, I really enjoy cooking, and I've always wanted to be a good baker, so I pulled of my shelf my Non-Gluten All-purpose Baking Flour (it's made from a mix of rice, tapioca, soy, and potato flour), printed a cinnamon roll recipe of my mom's off of my computer and went to work. I've always been a bit intimidated by yeast and making doughs, but it seemed fairly easy enough once I got started on the task. I ran out of my non-gluten flour and I asked Spencer to run down stairs and grab me another bag from out of the food storage. He came back up with a bag of Non-Gluten Biscuit Mix- only I didn't realize it was biscuit mix and not baking flour until after I prepared my dough. I've never baked cinnamon rolls before and so I wasn't aware of how much preparation time I needed to leave myself for letting the dough rise and such before I actually put the buns in the oven.

I was hoping the rolls would be done for Sunday "morning" conference, but alas- they weren't finished baking until midway through the Sunday "afternoon" conference. As they baked they made the house smell with yummy goodness- it's a comforting smell I decided. If I'm ever at the mall, I'll walk into Deseret Book past the Lion House Bakery just to smell that smell! After I iced them, I was excited to taste one. I can't say they were the best cinnamon rolls I've ever tasted- (Cinnabon is hard to beat)- in fact they were slightly dry and flaky because of my mistake adding wheat free Biscuit mix to the dough- but they were still a nice treat to enjoy during conference. I've decided I'm going to carry on the tradition and make my wheat free Cinnamon Rolls for every Sunday morning conference- I'll need to work a little at perfecting the recipe till I get the rolls to taste just like Cinnabon's- it's certainly tricky to accomplish when you're not working with real flour, but rice flour instead. By the way- I made 16 cinnamon rolls for probably no more than $1- while at the health food store they charge people like myself who are allergic to wheat/flour $7 for four, not the best tasting, small, cinnamon rolls! It's totally ridiculous how overpriced specialty food is!

3 comments:

heidizinha said...

mmmm, those look delicious!

cassi said...

That's so funny! I actually did the same thing last conference time- I made my first cinnamon rolls and we didn't get to eat them until lunch time as well! Who knew they take all day?!

Sharalea said...

yum yum
i'm coming to your house next year! ;)