Monday, February 20, 2012

Sink time...

I think the baby needs to have blowouts more often, just so I can have an excuse to bathe him our kitchen sink...  The last time I've bathed any of my babies in a sink was the night we brought Noah {our eldest} home from the hospital as a newborn...  that was YEARS ago, when neither I nor Spencer had any clue what we were doing and we were scared out of our minds!

We installed our deep sink shortly after we bought our home {nearly 2 years ago} and I haven't used it for much other than washing hands and washing off produce {f.y.i. I never rinse off our dishes in the sink- they go straight into our dishwasher}... our little guy Atticus fits so perfectly in the sink and he really LOVED the time he spent in it... I think we'll be doing it more often. Let it serve a purpose!

On a completely different note:  It's President's Day today!  Hooray- this means Spencer has the day off from work.  I'd love to suggest we're going to go somewhere fun today or do something fun- but I have nothing in mind.  We have passes to places, but we don't dare take our circus to any of those places today because they'll all be cRaZy busy...  it's okay though- we've been enjoying our nice long weekend together in each others company... Saturday we took the boys down to The Scera to watch Journey 2... it was SUPER cheesy but our boys loved it all the same.  After, we stopped by Spencer's brother, Aaron's house, to eat some yummy Brazilian barbecue--- our boys played with their cousins for a little bit... we don't see them enough- it was a real treat.  It snowed yesterday--- I wish you could have witnessed how many cars couldn't make it up our hill on the way to church {exactly the reason I refuse to buy a minivan}--- the roads were iced over--- I'm not sure how any of those families eventually made it into church, but we had no problem and beat the crowd to church, early enough to score a bench seat {this is a HUGE deal- our ward is at 7 hundred something people; our stake president visited a week ago during Ward conference and announced that he has no intention of splitting our ward any time soon, so, this ultimately means every Sunday morning, families, like our own, scramble to get to church half an hour early (mark that, 8:30, A.M.) just to get a decent seat}... Spencer was released from teaching Primary {he and I have team taught together the 8 and 9 year olds now for a little more than a year and a half--- I was released about a month ago when I was called to be a Cub Scout Den Mom, but because the Primary was short on people willing to teach, I've continued to teach the 8 and 9 years with Spencer}... Spence is now the Elders Quorum Secretary. I thought I'd still continue to teach our Primary class until the ward called someone new to teach, so I had the lesson prepared to teach, but upon arriving in class, I found another Sister already sitting in, called to substitute--- so I said some parting words to our class- all while getting choked up and fighting back tears... I'm not sure what I was getting so emotional about... perhaps it's because now I realize I actually have to go to Relief Society {not that Relief Society is really that terrible... it's just NOT my thing} or perhaps I just got choked up because I'll truly miss teaching in Primary. I plan on telling the new person they call to teach Valiant B to give me a call any time he/she needs a substitute.  On our way home from church yesterday we asked our boys what they did/learned in Primary {Bentley didn't do anything--- he had a cough so we kept him with us the entire time}... Noah told us he sang the song "Jesus was a Snowman"... hmm, neither Spencer nor I had ever heard of that song... we had a good giggle driving home.  Last night, we told our boys they needed to sleep in this morning, since it's a holiday...  I was hoping to get some extra rest myself, but my body wouldn't let me sleep in past 6:40... most of our boys were all up by 7:20 {that's NOT what I consider sleeping in- gone are the days they'd all sleep in until 9 or 10--- yep they really used to until the school year began}--- everyone's happily playing in the toy room right now... Bentley's found the harmonica and is happily serenading me from the landing on the stairs.  It's cute, but I hope he doesn't insist on playing it all morning long.  I think I'll bake today... my thighs don't need it, but my boys love a nice treat and my stomach is hungry for a cookie of some sort...  and I'll read.  I don't get many opportunities to just sit down and read a book... I'm reading through a book right now, that I began reading last Spring...  it's called "Waiting for Snow in Havana: Confessions of a Cuban Boy" written by Carlos Eire.  It's a memoir and it's such a well written, engaging account of the authors life growing up in Cuba, antes Fidel Castro...   I'd LOVE to visit Cuba some day... of course I realize it probably is NOTHING like how Carlos described it but still, talk about a country rich with culture.  I think I'm just in the mood to travel anywhere right now... my sister in law, Laura is visiting Western New York right now, where my grandpa is at--- I so envy her right now- what I wouldn't do to be there right now visiting, or even if I could visit my folks in San Diego.  I spent the evening last night calculating how many more weeks of school we have before Spring Break arrives...  my hope is to take the boys for that week during Spring Break down to San Diego so we can visit the beach every day. I miss the sun and surf... have I mentioned I'm SO ready for summer to arrive.  Well that's about it for my thoughts this morning...  the plan is finish updating the blog {keep in mind, that was the plan last Thursday when I made my last post}; wish me luck because I'll probably just end up getting distracted by one or all of my boys {which really isn't such a bad thing at all} and put it off until another day.


0 comments: