Saturday, February 4, 2012

Christmas!!!

Is it just me or did Christmas this year have an extra sacredness about it BECAUSE it fell on a Sunday which gave my family, as well as millions of other Christians across the world, the opportunity to come together and remember Christ by partaking of the sacrament. I VOTE Christmas should always be on a Sunday! {On that same note: Is it just me, or did anyone else consider it would be blasphemous to stay home and open up presents INSTEAD of going to church??? If I'd had done that, I would have felt terribly guilty!} Alright, I'll be honest--- when our bishop announced the Sunday before Christmas that our ward would begin meeting in the new church building just up the street from our home at 9a.m., NO, I wasn't excited!!! {Spencer and I were aware that our ward would begin meeting for church at 9a.m. at the beginning of the new year, we just weren't expecting we'd have to start meeting at 9 beginning Christmaday! Our ward always met at 1!} The new time change meant that we would have to wake up early and from the moment our feet hit the floor, we'd have to scramble to get to church on time!  We'd have to shower, dress and feed our boys, without letting them open any presents, just to make the 9 o'clock deadline!!!  Sounds easy, if all you have are one or two children, but 5?!  And they're all still little so they all still need our help getting dressed.  I wasn't looking forward to the change in time for church services--- I didn't get to bed until 2 that morning, then consequently, following 3 hours of sleep, I had to get up to get myself ready before waking our boys.  It's a surprise I didn't sleep through the sound of my alarm clock that morning!  After worrying about making it to church on time Christmas morning, I'm happy to report, WE DID, with nearly 30 minutes to spare! {We arrived SUPER EARLY just so we could score a bench seat}.  Our ward only met for an hour- to partake of the Sacrament and listen to the beautiful musical pieces that were arranged and performed by members of our ward {Have I mentioned that our ward is insanely musically gifted?!}  It was such a nice change to be able to go to church Christmas morning, feel the reverence there and reflect on the true purpose of the holiday {no worries, we still got to watch the Disney Christmas Parade which has been a long standing tradition in my home ever since I was a little girl... we just recorded it and watched it the following morning!}... Following church, we came home, took some pictures of our boys together in front of the Christmas tree and not one of them even complained that it was already 11 something and we hadn't opened one single gift yet! It's nice that they have that kind of patience and don't mind waiting. More kids {and adults} could afford to have more patience like our boys have {particularly around the holidays!!!}.

Here's a bunch of pictures we took through out the day...
We felt Santa was extremely generous with the gifts he gave our family...  I heard on the news shortly before Christmas Day, through a Gallup Poll, that the average American expected to spend $764 on Christmas gifts for the year. {Keep in mind the average American, according to the 2000 Census has 3.14 people in their household- NOT 7!}.  That's INSANE!  That's more than twice what we, I mean, Santa spent on our entire family!!! What kind of crap do people buy?! I don't know, perhaps it's just us, but we've come to learn that the old adage, "Less is More" really is true! Kids will appreciate nearly anything you give them on Christmas, whether it's a pencil or shiny new bike {unless of course you've raised yourself some spoiled brats... then you'll probably encounter some problems if you just try to give them a new book to read when they're expecting a new pony!}   Oi! And we wonder why our country is in such financial ruins!!!
Before he departed back up to The North Pole with Santa, our dear friend, Jolt the Elf, left our family chocolate milk and doughnuts {he even remembered to leave special g.f. ones too for Noah and Ian} to eat for breakfast Christmas morning... Doughnuts are a rare treat in our household so our boys greatly appreciated them.
Ian got that Batman castle he was desperately hoping for!
Our little Beethoven!
The boys bought Spencer this super duper cool K'NEX roller coaster set!
Santa brought our family an Easy Roller to ride on!  
We all enjoy it so much, 
we're saving our change to buy another one at some point!!!  
I confess, even I've taken it for a cruise around the house a few times!
I LOVE riding it!  
It reminds me of the go-kart my brother Jeff and I made once when we were young... 
we used a dolly as our pretend go-kart... 
it wasn't nearly as comfortable to sit on as our Easy Roller is
and I do remember getting hurt on it a lot! 
 Bentley got a great BIG set of NEW LEGOS he so desperately wanted!!!
Noah got a Hex Bug...
... and a remote control helicopter!
Our little cowboy, Cohen, got a new horse to ride...
... and a gee-tar (guitar), cuz every cowboy needs a gee-tar to strum!
Ian also received a mustache kit in his stocking 
that came with 10 different kinds of 'stach's.  
Here's just a couple of the mustaches our boys modeled...
I just had to toss in this picture of Atticus from Christmas ...  
Isn't he delicious?!
We took it pretty easy Christmas day...  I baked a ham and we ate breakfast for supper {waffles, eggs, potatoes and ham}... Spencer's parents and sister, Laura, came over in the evening, following naps, to visit...

We read The Living Christ: The Testimony of the Apostles {you can click here to read a copy of it} before going to bed...  The goal this year was to focus more on Christ and less on the commercialism of Christmas... I believe we successfully reached our goal!
As tradition has it, we lit the candles on our nativity windmill at the end of the evening {we only light the candles once a year, on Christmas night}...  it's always enchanting to watch!

F.Y.I. In case you wondering, no, we did NOT get a pup this Christmas as our boys had hoped for... I know, I know, the boys and I REALLY wanted one but Spence wasn't on board with the idea... yet... he wants to wait another year or two for our boys to get just a little older so they can be responsible for it.  We'll see if we {specifically I} can wait that long!  I told Spencer after Christmas that he could always get me a cat for my birthday...  He sneered at the thought! I was only trying to compromise (wink.wink.)

0 comments: