Monday, October 17, 2011

"Mrs. Claus is going through menopause, so I brought the Easter Bunny."

We found ourselves some babysitters, thanks again Aunt Laura and Grandma Campbell for watching all of our boys,  then Spencer and I hit the town Saturday evening as Santa Claus and The Easter Bunny.

We were invited Saturday night to participate in a scavenger hunt that was organized by some of his fellow co-workers from school.  We were separated into groups of 4- Spencer and I were paired up with another teacher from his school, Meggie- the 7TH & 9TH grade history teacher and her date, Jared (?).  We sped around downtown Salt Lake and Sugarhouse looking for clues that ultimately led us to the finish at Sugarhouse Park.  We began the hunt in the parking lot of the high school adjacent to Sugarhouse Park; from there we drove to Trolly Square to find our first clue- our clue led us to the Gilgal Sculpture Gardens- I NEVER KNEW this place even existed!  (Click here to read about it); from the gardens we were led to Liberty Park by the duck pond to look for our next clue--- this is where we wasted A LOT of time and fell behind.  We scoured the entire park looking for our darn clue- I even ditched The Easter Bunny outfit I was wearing because quite frankly I couldn't even really MOVE in it!  Eventually after 40 minutes or so, Ryan found the clue we'd been looking for; it was tucked away, nearly completely under a flower pot in the pavilion next to the pond... from Liberty Park we drove to This Is The Place: Heritage Park... our clue said the next clue would be around one of the monuments there, so we searched high and low for it... 3 other teams caught up to us at this point.  We were getting desperate, so Meggie climbed on top of one of the statues to look for the clue- NOPE. It wasn't there.  We combed all over on the dirt and grass surrounding the statue and in the trees- eventually we found the clue chucked up in one of the trees... unfortunately when we found it, it tipped off another person from another team and they got it too!  From This Is The Place, we went to East High (you know, the one they filmed Disney's "High School Musical" at) and we followed the E's that "pointed the way to the garden"- once there we found the clue almost immediately, then we drove to the Huntsmen Center. By this point I wasn't really proving to be very valuable to the team- I wasn't the fast cRaZy driver, because I didn't know my way around downtown- NOPE- Spencer drove; I wasn't the puzzle solver- Meggie took the cake for doing that--- she had all of the clues figured out even before any of us could even think to bat an eyelash... and I wasn't the fastest on foot when we set out to search for the clues--- that person was Ryan... No instead I guess I was just tagging along with the team for moral support... anyhow- I decided to hang back and stay in the car by the time we reached the Huntsmen Center... someone needed to anyhow- we were parked totally illegally.  And finally, from the Huntsmen Center we drove to Sugarhouse Park- our final destination!  We were hoping to be the 1ST team to arrive but we came in 2ND--- we weren't too far behind the 1ST team and we did manage to beat out 5 OTHER teams. 

I have to admit, it really was a fun evening.  I wasn't looking forward to it earlier in the day- mostly due to the fact that I wasn't excited about dressing up!  I couldn't see a THING wearing that Easter Bunny head and even worse, I COULDN'T BREATH!  I have a whole new found  RESPECT for those people who dress up as Disney characters at Disneyland... it's not easy being a mouse, or duck!  Hands down, Spencer and I had the.best.costumes- thanks again to my mother in law, Linda.  She owns the Santa suit Spencer wore and she rented the bunny outfit for me from The Scera.  Originally Spencer wanted us to go as "Adam and Eve"--- you know, because we like to "populate the earth" just as they did, but I'm thankful we didn't.  A. because it was too cold out at night to wear fig leaves and B. because I would have had to have worn FIG leaves!  Fig leaves people!  Palm leaves might have been more up my alley- at least they cover MORE...  anyhow, I LOVE that we went as Santa Claus and The Easter Bunny but it did leave our boys a bit perplexed... here they've thought all along that both Santa and The Easter Bunny are real, that is, until they saw us dressed up as them... now their beliefs are teetering a little more towards not believing... I think right about now is probably the appropriate time to pop in the movie, Polar Express--- it may not even be Halloween yet, but if I'm going to save Christmas, this might be the only way!

Oh and don't you just love the title of this post?  "Mrs. Claus is going through menopause, so I brought The Easter Bunny".  That's how Spencer greeted everyone... pretty clever, right?!

1 comments:

Megan said...

lol...I almost thought that was my mom.