Celebrating the 4th!
I look forward to celebrating the 4Th of July every year; it's my favorite holiday, trumping Christmas and Halloween, but somehow this year it was overshadowed by our trip to Hawaii. The 4Th was on a Saturday and Spencer and I only returned from our trip a few days earlier, on Wednesday, after being gone for nearly a whole week. We spent all of Wednesday catching up on sleep, Thursday unpacking and cleaning the house, and Friday restocking our pantry and refrigerator with food (it required several trips to various supermarkets around town). By the time Saturday rolled around, I neither had the time to plan anything or the energy to do anything for the 4Th.
I had every intention of waking up early on the 4Th so that we could take the boys down to watch the hot air balloons launch in Provo, but we never made it there because I slept through my alarm and didn't wake up until 10 that morning! I also wanted to make the boys a pancake breakfast topped with strawberries, blueberries and whip cream , all arranged in such a fashion the pancakes would resemble the American Flag, but instead I resorted to feeding them the usual: cold cereal in a bowl and banana (no worries, we made and ate patriotic pancakes the following morning). There was just no time to doddle, since we all slept through most the morning hours and were expected to be at Grandma and Grandpa Campbell's house for the family barbecue by 1. We ate, showered and got dressed in a quickie!
All year round I look forward to the 4Th; I found myself giddy thinking about how I'd decorate the front porch and the inside of our house in patriotic colors (I know I'm a dork) and banners and scheming up ideas for patriotic themed desserts. I had envisioned having a great big barbecue cookout on the 4Th, inviting all of our friends and family, and even having a slip in slide or water slide blow up thingy set up out back that the kiddos could enjoy cooling off in. I thought perhaps the adults could keep busy by playing a game of Frisbee or flag football, maybe even a game of croquet... That's what I was thinking of doing for the 4Th, BUT... since none of my plans for the 4Th actually materialized, I was EXTREMELY GRATEFUL to learn that my mother in law, Linda, stepped up and organized a fun & simple barbecue for the entire family that day.
We ate good food, enjoyed good company, reffed a couple of small, harmless fights that broke out between Noah, Ian and their cousin, Malachi, and got EATEN ALIVE by mosquitoes while watching Spencer's firework show later that evening.
So the 4Th didn't quite pan out like how I had envisioned it would, but regardless, it was still enjoyable and remains my favorite holiday!
I had every intention of waking up early on the 4Th so that we could take the boys down to watch the hot air balloons launch in Provo, but we never made it there because I slept through my alarm and didn't wake up until 10 that morning! I also wanted to make the boys a pancake breakfast topped with strawberries, blueberries and whip cream , all arranged in such a fashion the pancakes would resemble the American Flag, but instead I resorted to feeding them the usual: cold cereal in a bowl and banana (no worries, we made and ate patriotic pancakes the following morning). There was just no time to doddle, since we all slept through most the morning hours and were expected to be at Grandma and Grandpa Campbell's house for the family barbecue by 1. We ate, showered and got dressed in a quickie!
All year round I look forward to the 4Th; I found myself giddy thinking about how I'd decorate the front porch and the inside of our house in patriotic colors (I know I'm a dork) and banners and scheming up ideas for patriotic themed desserts. I had envisioned having a great big barbecue cookout on the 4Th, inviting all of our friends and family, and even having a slip in slide or water slide blow up thingy set up out back that the kiddos could enjoy cooling off in. I thought perhaps the adults could keep busy by playing a game of Frisbee or flag football, maybe even a game of croquet... That's what I was thinking of doing for the 4Th, BUT... since none of my plans for the 4Th actually materialized, I was EXTREMELY GRATEFUL to learn that my mother in law, Linda, stepped up and organized a fun & simple barbecue for the entire family that day.
We ate good food, enjoyed good company, reffed a couple of small, harmless fights that broke out between Noah, Ian and their cousin, Malachi, and got EATEN ALIVE by mosquitoes while watching Spencer's firework show later that evening.
So the 4Th didn't quite pan out like how I had envisioned it would, but regardless, it was still enjoyable and remains my favorite holiday!
Ian and his cousin Eli watching Spencer's fire work show.

I had to hold onto Cohen during all the fireworks, otherwise he would have crawled right up them!
Noah spent most the time inside Spencer's parents house because the fireworks scared him.
Spencer didn't have to impress too many people with his pyrotechnic skills,
only the little boys hung around the house for the display
and they would have been "pleased as punch" alone if only we'd lit sparklers!
Spencer's brother Aaron, visiting from Uruguay, took his 3 daughters and sister Laura
to The Stadium of Fire to watch The Jonas Brothers play live in concert
(I half wished I had gone too- I actually like The Jonas Brothers but I hate to think
how uncomfortable I would have been sitting all that time in the heat and on the bleachers).
Spencer's younger sister, Megan, and her husband, John, left after the barbecue
to watch fireworks with John's family.
Les and Linda left to have their first mission interview with the new Provo mission president that had been called.
And Emily, my sister in law, wife to Aaron, hung around the house with her two little boys, Eli & Malachi
(otherwise known as Ike)
but missed Spencer's light show because Ike had a meltdown after a brief spat with Noah.
OKAY, so not everyone was "pleased as punch" with their sparklers.
Noah tried to hold it as far away from him as possible.

Eli practiced some serious magic that evening!

I'm not even sure what this kind of firework is called,
but what ever it is,
Ian LOVED it!
Noah was TERRIFIED of it!

After Spencer had lit and set off all of our fireworks,
we packed our boys into our car,
swung by Arbys to grab some snacks,
and cruised up to the bench streets in Provo
to watch the firework show from The Stadium of Fire.
We packed pillows and sleeping bags and let the boys get snug in the back of the car to watch the sky light up!

Funny little story about the following picture.
I stole it from my cousin Tyler's blog, (sorry Tyler for not asking your permission beforehand).
He didn't grow up here in Utah,
so when he went to the 4Th of July parade in Provo
Saturday morning,
he was both a bit surprised and humored to see a LDS missionary float in the parade.
Only in Utah...
Anyhow, my in laws are actually Senior Missionaries for the Provo Mission and they were asked to ride on the float. My mother in law was UBER EXCITED when asked to ride, my father in law... well... not so much.
Any how, I think my mother in law would have liked for all us to be there watching them in the parade
but who seriously wants to camp overnight on Center Street just to get a good spot to see the parade?!
We decided not to go, so of course we didn't get to see them in the parade,
UNTIL
I saw this picture my cousin took and posted on his blog!


I had to hold onto Cohen during all the fireworks, otherwise he would have crawled right up them!
Noah spent most the time inside Spencer's parents house because the fireworks scared him.
Spencer didn't have to impress too many people with his pyrotechnic skills,
only the little boys hung around the house for the display
and they would have been "pleased as punch" alone if only we'd lit sparklers!
Spencer's brother Aaron, visiting from Uruguay, took his 3 daughters and sister Laura
to The Stadium of Fire to watch The Jonas Brothers play live in concert
(I half wished I had gone too- I actually like The Jonas Brothers but I hate to think
how uncomfortable I would have been sitting all that time in the heat and on the bleachers).
Spencer's younger sister, Megan, and her husband, John, left after the barbecue
to watch fireworks with John's family.
Les and Linda left to have their first mission interview with the new Provo mission president that had been called.
And Emily, my sister in law, wife to Aaron, hung around the house with her two little boys, Eli & Malachi
(otherwise known as Ike)
but missed Spencer's light show because Ike had a meltdown after a brief spat with Noah.
OKAY, so not everyone was "pleased as punch" with their sparklers.
Noah tried to hold it as far away from him as possible.

Eli practiced some serious magic that evening!

I'm not even sure what this kind of firework is called,
but what ever it is,
Ian LOVED it!
Noah was TERRIFIED of it!

After Spencer had lit and set off all of our fireworks,
we packed our boys into our car,
swung by Arbys to grab some snacks,
and cruised up to the bench streets in Provo
to watch the firework show from The Stadium of Fire.
We packed pillows and sleeping bags and let the boys get snug in the back of the car to watch the sky light up!

Funny little story about the following picture.
I stole it from my cousin Tyler's blog, (sorry Tyler for not asking your permission beforehand).
He didn't grow up here in Utah,
so when he went to the 4Th of July parade in Provo
Saturday morning,
he was both a bit surprised and humored to see a LDS missionary float in the parade.
Only in Utah...
Anyhow, my in laws are actually Senior Missionaries for the Provo Mission and they were asked to ride on the float. My mother in law was UBER EXCITED when asked to ride, my father in law... well... not so much.
Any how, I think my mother in law would have liked for all us to be there watching them in the parade
but who seriously wants to camp overnight on Center Street just to get a good spot to see the parade?!
We decided not to go, so of course we didn't get to see them in the parade,
UNTIL
I saw this picture my cousin took and posted on his blog!


1 comments:
Glad you had fun with the fireworks too. I have to say though, Linda isn't completely responsible. I'd been bugging her for weeks about having a BBQ, since the family would be here and John's family wasn't going to. (Glad both families did have a little something going on, I would have been mad if not) John and I both love July 4th the best!
Post a Comment