Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Not so lucky...

I've had an interesting day.

I had TONS of grocery shopping to do today since all of my food in the fridge spoiled or expired while we were away in San Diego. My first errand I needed to run this afternoon was a trip to Costco with the boys; we were there with loads of things I needed to buy, one item being baby wipes. I combed the baby isle in Costco in which they keep all their diapers, wipes and baby formula for a good 20 minutes or so in search of the usual Kirkland baby wipes brand I buy for the boys- they weren't to be found! " Where on earth could they have moved the wipes???" I thought to myself and just then a store employee walked by and after asking about where they moved the wipes too, he informed me, they were all out! Apparently there was a mad rush at the store on baby wipes over the weekend- do people know something I don't know here- are all of our toilets and showers going to break down in the next week forcing us to clean ourselves with baby wipes??? Since when does Costco sell out of their own store brands baby wipes?! It's ABSURD! I left a bit disappointed with Costco- up until that moment I had believed they were really the store with EVERYTHING; now I know I was wrong in a BIG way. This just wasn't my day. Let's hope the boys don't make it worse by having blow outs!

After stocking up on groceries at Costco I hurried home to unload and put them away. We had just finished our last can of baby formula off earlier that day, so during my little trip to Costco I decided to grab a case of 6 cans of Similac Baby Formula-( I was praying my trip to the store wouldn't end up being expensive, but hope faded as it soon dawned on me that if I were going to buy 6 cans of formula, that was nearly $200 alone!) oddly enough this was the first time I'd ever seen Similac package the powder in a new container other than the one I was used to. The new container seems to be a bit more 'kid proof', "Thank goodness" was my first thought while fumbling with the lid for a minute or two trying to open it, followed by "it's about time", referring to the hundreds of dollars Noah has wasted by dumping out cans of the same formula because they were too "EASY" to get into. Here's the problem though- while I appreciate the company making it slightly trickier to open so that my 3 year old and 1 year old can't pour cans of the formula out onto my floor or furniture any longer- I noticed the manufacturer was shorting me 2 1/2 ounces of formula but still charging me the same exact price per can for what I paid before when I got more in the can!!! It's absolutely RIDICULOUS!!! I did the math and figured out that since I bought 6 cans of formula, I was being cheated out of 15 ounces of baby formula- that's literally anywhere between $12-$15 dollars of formula! It's a crime what Similac has decided to do- I think it just may be cheaper to higher a nurse maid for my babies like the rich folk used to do back in the days!

After putting all my groceries from Costco away, I hurried off to Maceys to finish my last bit of shopping. I thought I had found the answer to my shopping woes when I snatched one of those shopping carts that had the toy truck in front of it that both Noah and Ian could sit in, still actually leaving me SPACE in my cart where I could throw my groceries. It worked pretty well, until Ian decided to start climbing out of the truck- he thought he was free to roam the store! Oh brother, the kid is a HANDFUL! He kept loosing his shoe or his hat as he'd escape the truck, and then when I'd return him to the cart, he'd turn around and climb right out the windshield! Have I ever mentioned how LOUD Ian is too? Yes, he's loud and DRAMATIC- he put on quite the show at Maceys this afternoon; during one incident I started to run him over accidentally with the shopping cart because he had climbed out the front of the cart AGAIN without my knowing it and he proceeded to yell "OWWW" in the most painstakingly fashion-(please note, he really wasn't in pain, I had just barely bumped him with the shopping cart- the kid's just ALL drama) I'm pretty sure everyone around me thought I intentionally tried to run over my kid...GOOD GRIEF!

...oh the joys of being a mother...

or so I keep trying to tell myself.

I'd lost track of the time while shopping and didn't realize it was already getting late. I packed all three of the boys and my groceries into the car and hurried home trying to beat Spencer before he got home from work; I was hoping to have dinner made so we could all eat once he walked through the door but I had no such luck. Just as I hit the switch so our garage door would close behind the car, I heard a funny sound and the garage door STOPPED about 3 feet from the ground! I looked around the area below the door, nothing was in it's way to keep the door from shutting. I felt my stomach twist immediately because I knew that sound couldn't have been good. The garage door light started to blink, which was unusual, (also quite entertaining to the boys; they just laughed as the light blinked ON and OFF, at which point I started to loose my patience with all that had gone wrong during the day. I asked Noah and Ian to stop laughing because it wasn't funny, but Noah insisted it was, so the two boys carried on with their chorus of laughter) and the garage door was STUCK! I think I cursed the dumb door- I wasn't about to leave our garage open all night to some stranger who wanted to come help himself to our things, so lucky me, Spencer came home just then and with a little elbow grease he managed to pull the door down. Tomorrow morning I'll have to call the company that installed the garage door to come and fix it- here's hoping they honor their company warranty and don't charge me anything to fix it; better yet, I'm hoping they can fix it in a jiffy because otherwise I won't be able to go anywhere because my car is STUCK in the garage.

Just as I was trying to get over the fact that my garage door was BROKEN, I walked into my kitchen and caught a glimpse of WATER DRIPPING FROM MY CEILING!!! "What in the world?!" I thought. A puddle of water had gathered on the floor below. I won't lie, but a scene from "The Money Pit" in which Tom Hanks bathtub falls through the ceiling suddenly flashed through my mind at that moment. I raced UP the stairs wondering all the time what could be causing the leak when the thought that it could be the washer in the laundry room occurred to me. Sure enough, when I opened the door to the laundry room there was a puddle of water on the tile floor and my washing machine had stopped because the load of clothes I was washing earlier that afternoon was too heavy and unbalanced. I fixed the load of laundry and then hurried to soak up the water before anymore could drip thru down below. Fortunately there wasn't any water damage done to the actual ceiling itself; the water just dripped down below thru an opening where the recessed lighting on the first floor was. I should count my lucky stars it was just the washer that was unbalanced leaking all over from up above my kitchen and not a giant bathtub ready to fall through the ceiling at any moment.

It's been quite the day; not my LUCKIEST yet on record, more like my UNLUCKIEST! I have to wonder what the rest of my week will be like... hopefully nothing like todays.

3 comments:

janae said...

Oh, Stephanie. It is so comforting to know that I'm not going through these days alone. You may not be here to see what happens, but I KNOW you understand it!!

Jolie said...

what a day indeed. Grocery shopping with three kids is SUCH a fiasco. Believe me, I know. What could be a 30 minute trip takes 3x that long with the wee ones. And then to come home and basically have your new house fall apart on you. UG.
Hope today's a better day!!

heidizinha said...

wow stephanie, you had quite the day. i hope your day today is MUCH better!