I NEVER thought I would EVER say this, but... I'm beginning to wish it was already Fall. Yup folks, I'm ready for Summer to be over with. Shocking huh?... especially coming from the girl who worships the sun and loves summer, but it's true- summers here in Utah are just disappointing. It's just too darn HOT here- and dry- I just can't get over it. Spencer keeps telling me I can't complain that it's HOT any longer since I should be used to the heat now that I've spent 4 summers in Utah, but really, come on- truth is, I will never adapt! (It's a good thing Spencer didn't try and move me to Las Vegas or Arizona after we got married- as much as I love him, I would have had our marriage annulled- I could NEVER deal with the heat there!) While mountains are pretty to look at, they're not fun to hike- especially in 100 degree heat; I'd rather be punished. I'm a beach girl. I guess I was spoiled rotten growing up in San Diego where the weather's PERFECT (I'm not exaggerating, it's truly PERFECT)- just minutes away from the ocean. If I wasn't at the beach, I was usually home, swimming in my parents backyard pool. I wouldn't hate summers in Utah so much if I had a pool- but I don't. In fact, most people in Utah don't own pools- they use city pools to swim in. It's so weird. I would have thought that since it is so hot here during the summer that more people would have pools of their own, but they don't. WHY??? it's crazy! Everyone in Happy Valley would be so much happier if they all had pools of their own!...not to add, that Crypto bug thing that's going around in the public pools here wouldn't be so much of a concern- I can't even begin to count the number of times I've taken the boys to one of the pools here in Orem or Provo and seen some kid puking or pooping in the pool. It's so totally disgusting!... but I keep going back to the pools because it's too HOT here not to! It suddenly just struck me as being funny that nobody has pools of their own here in Utah, but practically everyone in Southern California does, even though the ocean is just at our doorsteps. That's seriously funny huh?
Utah, hear me out, private pools are necessity! Beat the heat and swim in your own pool! What doesn't sound enjoyable about that? I promise on this day, to pinch my pennies and start my own pool fund. One day, I will have saved enough money to build my own pool (I guess it would also help if we owned our own home too); I don't care if I have to skip buying Captain Crunch and start feeding my family oatmeal for breakfast- my boys and Spencer will thank me for pinching pennies once they're swimming in their own pool eating Captain Crunch.
Okay so seriously though, I'm ready for a cool down and for Fall to finally arrive. Anyone else with me?
Speaking of swimming pools... can you believe this Michael Phelps guy??? I think he may have crushed any hopes or dreams I may have had of my boys becoming Olympic Swimmers. There's no way my boys will ever have the arm span or height that Phelps or any of the other competitors have. Pity they inherited the short genes from both mine and Spencer's families, well except Ian... he's just GINORMOUS!... maybe he'll have the build (and the training of course) to make him into a great swimmer. I guess I can keep dreaming till we know.
Watching these Olympics recently has made me want to start swimming again. I used to swim a lot on my own in college- usually a mile a day, sometimes swimming more if I had swim class or lifeguarding. I love swimming laps- it's so therapeutic, not to mention it gets me into great shape. I would begin swimming laps again in the pool today, but I'm afraid I wouldn't have the stamina or strength to swim very far; the senior citizens who swim in the slow lane at the rec center would probably pass me up and then ask me to exit the pool. I think I may need to do a little bit of conditioning on the treadmill before sporting the speedo, swimcap and goggles.
Spencer and I watched some of the U.S. women's field hockey team compete in the Olympics a week ago- I had forgotten how much fun field hockey was. I had the sudden urge to grab a stick and go hit balls; only problem is, I don't have a stick any longer. It's been, oh, 10 years since the last time I played field hockey. 10 years! Wow- I guess that means it's been practically 10 years since the last time I played soccer or softball too! CRAZY!... Anyhow- I'm really tempted after watching the match to buy a stick and ball. I think it would feel good to go and hit balls around on some park field from time to time.
I had my post pregnancy follow up with my doctor the other day- turns out after delivering 9 pounds of baby, I still have 32 pounds to loose before I'm down to my goal weight (too bad Cohen couldn't have weighed in at 41 pounds- then I wouldn't have baby weight to worry about loosing ). It sounds so easy when I say, "Oh I just have to loose 32 pounds to be back in tip top shape again", but seriously, I know it won't be. I'm going to have to really put some sort of workout plan into action, or else I won't ever shed the pounds and get my Mac Notebook Spencer promised me. I think I'll start out on the treadmill- then maybe move onto swimming.
It's too bad chasing after my two year old and my one year old isn't enough to help me loose all my baby weight- it would have been such an easy solution since I'm constantly running after them all day, every day!
Friday, August 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You guys have had a hot summer in Utah. It's been so mild here with the exception of a few 100 degree days here and there.
What's the Crypto bug??? Just the name makes it sound absolutely disgusting! Is it going around there?
Watching all the totally ripped Olympic athletes has motivated me even more to get back in awesome shape after having the baby. I, too, will have some major work to do! My body doesn't just bounce back after popping the kiddo out. But oh well.
I also wonder why chasing two active toddler all day plus breastfeeding doesn't melt the pounds away!! You'd think it would. Mmm, maybe it does for that 1% of the female population that makes me sick. ;-P
My parents always talked about putting a pool in the back yard, but apparently the freezing winters make the pools really hard to upkeep. You have that advantage in San Diego - winter is totally temperate. I say, put in the pool, and pay a pool guy to keep it up!
Baby weight is terrible. As if a new mom doesn't have enough on her mind! I read a little book saying that new moms require a nap each day without fail. Whoever wrote it must not have had more than one child! Be comforted in knowing about five of us are all in the same boat right now with our new little ones and wanting our bodies back to how they were 10 months ago. :)
Post a Comment