Friday, August 1, 2008



I suppose I'm a little late announcing the birth of our son, (6 weeks late in fact), but never the less, the above is a picture of our family's newest addition,
COHEN PHOENIX CAMPBELL. He was born on Thursday JUNE 19Th at 12:40P.M., weighing in at 9 lbs. even and he was 21 inches in length.

The name COHEN means priest in Hebrew. It's actually a really popular Jewish last name. We thought of the name soon after discovering this past January that we were expecting a boy; Spencer suggested it. Friends who were once fans, like ourselves, of the hit t.v. drama, The O.C., probably recognize the name Cohen as sounding familiar- it was Adam Brody's name on the show- he played Seth Cohen. We LOVED his character and so I guess his name therefor left a strong impression on us.

Phoenix is Cohen's middle name. It's of Greek origin and its meaning is "dark red". The mythical Arabian bird known as the phoenix is a symbol of immortality. After living for centuries, it dies, and rises from its own ashes. Phoenix has 2 variant forms: Fenix and Phenix. We debated whether or not to spell is Fenix, spelt like the name of a band I used to like back in the day,
Fenix TX, but finally agreed to spell it Phoenix.

Quite a few people have asked us why we had chosen Phoenix as Cohen's middle name. People immediately assume it's because either Spencer or I, or perhaps both of us LOVE the city Phoenix. They're COMPLETELY WRONG OF COURSE! I think Phoenix, Arizona is a miserable place- I hate the heat and I hate desert! Some people actually think it's because we're fans of the late River Phoenix- ummm, wrong again. Truth is, we (when I say "we", I really mean I) have just always LOVED the name. It's a unique name and it's powerful sounding. I suggested the name more than a year ago when we were deciding on names during my pregnancy with Ian, but Spencer wasn't feeling it; so of course when I learned we were having another boy, I suggested it again and after some persistence on my part I guess Spencer began to like the sound of it.

7 comments:

Ruth said...

Stephanie, He is so adorable! How could you get three boys that look so different but so cute? I am so happy for you guys. You must have your hands full. How did you ever get time to make this? Please keep us posted when you get any spare time. You guys are awesome.

janae said...

Well, we're BIG fans of his name. (And when I say "we" I really do mean both Sam and I!) When Sam saw your baby announcement (we got it yesterday - thank you!!) he immediately tried to put together a name for one of our kids using Phoenix. Unfortunately, Phoenix and Ricks don't really go well together. :) We've considered Noah if we have a third boy, too.

Anyway, he is darling. You are so good at taking flattering pictures! Your kids have such amazing hair, too!! Thanks for posting. I can't wait to hear the rest of your stories!

Lauren said...

He's a cutie. Congratulations. I hope you are all doing well :)

Sharalea said...

I love this post, and I am so glad to see pics! Your Cohen is so darling!! I bet the two big brothers are loving the little addition!! You look great (as always!) and I love the explanation of the names. I love it when names have special meanings.

We're thrilled for your family...can't wait to meet all of the boys in a few weeks :)

The Christensens said...

Congrats! He is adorable. How is it with 3 I am scared to have 3, but so baby hungry. We haven't seen you guys for along time I think we all need to get together.

Jolie said...

Cohen is a very beautiful baby!! I love the pic you have of him on the side bar. I, too, love his name. You boys have the best names I think.
How did the labor/delivery go?

Rach and Danny said...

Hey, thanks for inviting us to the blessing. Sorry we couldn't make it to the actual blessing, but the luncheon was fun. It was good to see everyone. I showed Ethan the baby and he got down from my arms and walked over to him. He wanted to play. It was cute. Maybe we should have another one so he'll have a playmate. We probably wouldn't be so lucky to have another boy. I'm going to Arizona tomorrow for a week. Be back on Wednesday morning, so let me know if you have plans or anything, maybe Ethan and I could come over and chat and play for a bit.