The name game...

I can't believe I'm really writing about this, but it's beginning to get on my last nerve...
You see, before I married Spencer, my last name was "Truesdell". Simple to spell and simple to pronounce. I'm not sure what kinda illiterate world we live in though, because EVERYONE managed to slaughter the spelling of our name or completely mispronounce it!
Once I married Spencer my last name changed from "Truesdell" to "Campbell". According to a census I found on the Internet, the surname "Campbell" is the 46Th most popular last name in the U.S. and the 6TH most common Scottish surname. There's hundred's, if not thousands of people who bore the last name "Campbell" through out history- athletes-,iconic models (Naomi Campbell), clans, religious organizers, etc... There's even tiny towns through out the U.S. by the name of "Campbell", and do I need to mention- the largest soup manufacturer in the entire world for over the last 125 years is named "Campbell's Soup". A very famous American artist by the name of Andy Warhol even has a painting of a Campbell's Soup can. The Campbell's soup can is an American icon. Who in the world hasn't ever seen the Campbell's can label?!?
So here's where I get annoyed. Everyone has seen the can, everyone has heard of the name before, so how is it people still manage to misspell it?!!! I'm totally baffled. I can't count how many times I've gone into or store or called to talk over the phone with a receptionist or clerk and someone has asked me what my last name is; I tell them, "Campbell"; they'll try to retrieve my records or find my order, but they're looking under "K"!!! Sometimes I try to help the clerk out by spelling my name for them, but they'll still look for something spelt like "Cambell". This is soooo annoying!
It's not like my last name is Polish or Chinese or some rare almost non-existent name- can't people just learn to spell and stop telling me my orders don't exist or my medicine isn't ready for pick up because they're looking in the "K" files instead of the "C" files?!?!?
Come on people, it's spelt C.A.M.P.B.E.L.L
3 comments:
Oh, I'm with you on this one, babe! I know Ricks isn't too huge outside of Mormonlandia, so you would suspect that outsiders would struggler and insiders would get it, right? Wrong. Over the phone insurance, credit card, etc. people always spell my name right. ALWAYS. But here in Utah (where people have known Ricks College for years), we always get these Rix? Rex? thing. Heck, even in the temple the sweet old ladies have the hardest time saying 'Sister Ricks' - 'Sister Rex?' Come on!! I just pronounced it for you, how hard can it be?! I think I'm gonna go back to Smith. You can NEVER go wrong with that one! :)
My maiden name was May & people always messed that up, & they would never know how to spell Susan either.
just a test
Post a Comment